Chapter Thirteen

It was stupid of me to think that the next day was going to be better. Very stupid of me. It actually was worse than the last, and I wasn't even at school yet.

It started when I was busy eating breakfast - cocoa puffs drenched in milk. I was sipping the slightly chocolate flavored milk from my bowl when Dad walked into the kitchen. He smiled at me but that didn't stop me from noticing the bags under his eyes.

"Noah, I'm afraid that you'll have to walk to school today since I the bills have become too much and I have to stay at home to manage them." Dad said, while rummaging through the cabinets, looking for a cup. I almost dropped my bowl when he said that.

"But Dad! I barely even know the way to school!"

"I've been driving you there for almost a month now, Noah. I'm sure you're smart enough to find the way while walking."

"Can't Charlotte drive me?"

"She works at 7 - Eleven on Thursdays and Fridays, remember?"

Oh right, I forgot about that.

"Please, dad?!" I begged. If I walked to school, there was a certainty that I would get lost and be late. Not only that, but I've seen people from my school walking and there was no way that I wanted to run into them, especially after what happened yesterday. I didn't know how fast news spread at this school, but I still didn't want to take any chances.

"Noah, you heard me." Dad said, a tone of finality in his voice. At this point, I didn't have a choice, so I grabbed my backpack and opened the front door.

"Bye, Noah!" Dad exclaimed, a little too cheerfully, as soon as I had stepped out of the house. I muttered a quick goodbye and glanced at the street in front of me. Vaguely remembering Dad turning left each time he drove me, I began to walk left until I came to the end of my neighborhood. I then remembered Dad continuing to drive left, so I did that. The next few minutes, I tried to remember the paths that Dad took to get me to school. When I found myself in a familiar spot, I knew I was on the right track and relaxed a little.

As I was walking, I thought to myself, this isn't so bad. It was quite peaceful out, the only sounds that could be heard were of cars whizzing by and the rustling of leaves on trees. Even better, I didn't run into anyone at my school.

Well, that's what I thought, when the voice that I least likely wanted to hear pierced the silence.

"Hey, look, it's the little crybaby walking to school all by himself!"

I gasped and turned around to see none other than Zander and his cronies standing there. Zander had an almost cruel smirk across his face, which I could only stare at. His two cronies were trying to stifle their laughter.

"P-Please, can you guys go away?!" I begged. Zander snorted.

"Awww, is the little crybaby gonna go run to his mommy and daddy and tell them how this oh so horrible person is hurting his feelings?" he cooed.

"I-I don't-"

Suddenly, as if they were made out of mist, someone appeared behind Zander. I looked closer and saw that it was Mr. Greene.

"Come on, Zander, do what I told you to do." Mr. Greene demanded.

"W-What are you doing?!" I gasped as Zander advanced on me. He didn't respond and instead shoved me to the ground, making my eyes widen in alarm.

"Z-Zander-" I stuttered as he put one hand on my chest to keep me in place. His other hand clenched around my neck, probably to choke me.

"L-Let me go!" I gasped as I looked up at Zander. He only looked down at me, his face twisted into a look of pure evil.