Chapter Fifty

" I think it's time that you learn how to drive."

I looked up from the eight page, one-hundred and fifty problem math packet that I had gotten, to see Dad standing in the doorway of my room. Sighing, I set down my pencil and turned to face him. I had never thought about driving before since he was the one to always drive me to school.

"Do I have to...?" I asked. To be honest, I had always been a little nervous about getting a car and learning how to drive. I felt as if the second I sat in the driver's seat of a car, I would crash it. After all, I had never been the one to pay really close attention to things and while you were driving, you had to pay attention to signs and lanes and stuff like that.

"Yes you have to." Dad answered, "In two years, you're going to be in college and you'll need a way to transport yourself to where you need to go."

"I'll just use a bus or something-"

"Fine, but what about if there's no bus to ride? Then what will you do?"

"I'll walk."

"Not all your life you won't. You'll have to learn how to drive in order to get yourself to places, Noah."

"But driving seems so scary!" I whined, "What if I get into an accident?"

"If you pay attention in driver's ed then you won't get into an accident."

" Dad, it's too early for this!" I huffed, "Why can't I learn to drive next year? There's only a month of this school year left and I probably won't be going anywhere this summer."

"Yes you will. You'll be attending driver's ed this summer."

"But-"

"But I already signed you up." Dad finished for me and I sighed.

"I don't even have a car."

"Well, about that..." Dad trailed off, "I thought that you could use Charlotte's old car to practice driving and when you get comfortable with it, we can get you your own car.

"But I don't want Charlotte's car!" I whined, "I don't even want a car."

"You have to." Dad told me.

"B-But-"

"We can paint it for you if you want."

"We can?!" I gasped. Visions of a lilac colored car danced in my head. All it needed was to be a little smaller and rounder and then it would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, Charlotte's old gray car was the exact opposite of small and round.

"Yep," Dad said, "All you need to do is agree to start driving."

"I'll think about it..." I murmured, turning away slightly from him so he would get the message that this conversation was over. I just wanted to get done with my mountain of homework so I could cuddle up in my bed and watch some movies on Netflix or draw in my sketchbook.

Dad just sighed and stepped out of the doorframe.

"Alright, well tell me when you're ready." he said and left. Immediately I continued my homework, wanting to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

And as for when I would be ready to drive?

The answer would be never.

~~~~~

The next day at school, I was on high alert. I didn't know why. All I knew was that I was worried. After all, it had only been a day since I started attending school again after my suspension.

"Noah, you alright?"

I sighed and fiddled with the pencil in my hands, looking up at Alicia. She was sitting next to me with a concerned look on her face.