Chapter Forty Nine

Two weeks may seem like a long time to most people, but for me, it passed by like a breeze.

For the most part, I just laid down in my bed, mindlessly staring at the ceiling. Sometimes I would pick up my sketchbook and draw a little bit or (rather unenthusatically) complete the mountain of homework I missed.

Despite the homework, it was mostly low-key since Dad and Charlotte didn't bother me too much. I could see now why Zander described his own suspension as "relaxing". It was a much needed break for me from all the drama going on at school.

That's when this all came to a stop and before I knew it, those two weeks were over.

All night, I was kept up by the thought of having to go back to that place. What would happen to me? What would Zander, Alicia and hell, even Damien think? What would everyone think? Would they all whisper about me the second I stepped through the gates or would they forget about me and move onto something else?

Whining softly, I snuggled under the covers of my bed and held George close to my chest, hoping that I could get at least the little bit of warmth I needed before I went back tomorrow. Just thinking about what might happen caused a nauseous feeling in the back of my mouth.

As if to make things worse for me, just then, I heard my phone go off. For a few minutes, I just laid there, unmoving. I didn't want to check my phone for anything right now. However, when it went off again - not one but two more times - I sighed and reached over to grab it.

When I squinted at the screen, I swear that my heart plummeted down to my feet. There in my notifications were three - yes, three - texts from Zander.

Oh.

My

God.

Feeling the tears forming in my eyes, I instantly set my phone back down and buried my face into one of my pillows. There was no way that those texts were good. How could they be when he literally saw me "punch" a person in the face and then get suspended for two weeks?

Letting out a huge sob, I burrowed deeper under the covers and began to cry. Nothing, absolutely nothing could save me now. When I walked into that school tomorrow, everyone was going to be whispering about me. God knows what will happen with Alicia, Zander and Damien.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. Groaning to myself, I buried my face deeper into my pillow. The last thing I needed was for someone to bother me right now.

"Come on, Noah, open the door," I heard Charlotte say from behind the door when I didn't get up, "I know you're in there."

Sighing loudly, I rolled out of bed and dragged myself to the door. When I opened it, I saw Charlotte standing there.

"What do you want, Charlotte?" I huffed.

"I want to know why you're crying in your bed in the middle of the night."

"It's nothing." I whined and I was about to close the door on her when she stepped into my room.

Great.

"Charlotte, can you get out?" I begged, "I need to sleep!"

"Right, since sleeping and crying in your bed are totally similar things to do."

"Charlotte-" I started to say but I closed my mouth when she sat on my bed. When she did that, I knew that she meant business.

"What's gotten you all riled up?" she asked, patting the spot next to her on my bed. I nervously shuffled over and sat down next to her.

"I, um, uh-"

"Don't worry, I won't laugh at you." she told me and I sighed.

"Well, um, I'm just, uh, I'm nervous, okay?"