Chapter 11

Following Monday:

I woke up to my coach calling me. He told me to come down to the rink, dressed nicely. I had some people to meet. He also told me to bring my parents. 

An hour later I had showered, eaten, brushed my teeth, and got dressed. I put on a black shirt that I tucked into tan high-waisted business pants that ended at my ankles. I put on a matching color belt. I slipped on black heels and left my hair natural. I put on mascara and grabbed a black purse.

I headed downstairs and my parents and I headed to the rink

I headed downstairs and my parents and I headed to the rink. It was a nerve-wracking drive as I had no idea what this meeting could be about. When we got there my parents and I headed up to my coach's office. I knocked on the door, and my coach opened it.

"Lily, thanks for coming." He said opening the door further for my parents and me to walk in. When we walked in I saw two men in suits sitting at two of the seats. "This is Lily Turocotte and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Turcotte. Guys these are Jamie Herrington and Garth Joy from the New York Rangers Scouting team." He said as my mouth dropped. "They are interested in you for the draft this year."

"What?" I asked so confusedly.

"We have seen you play kid, and you have a lot of talent. We are interested in drafting you this year." Mr. Herrington said.

"But I am a girl. There are no girls in the NHL." I asked even more confused.

"So we have done some extensive research and there actually are not any rules stating women can't play in the NHL, it just has not happened before." Mr. Joy said.

"Wow," I said shocked.

"We are not the only team looking at you either kid. The Devils, the Ducks, the Kings, the Hurricanes, the Flyers, and the Krakens." Mr. Herrington stated making my mouth drop even further.

"Your stats are so good, and the talk about you is a lot that we think you will be a first-round pick potentially." Mr. Joy told us.

"Wait hold on a second. You're saying that my daughter has a chance to play in the NHL?" My dad asked.

"A very good chance like 95% chance of playing in the NHL." Mr. Herrington said smiling at us. "Just like you sir and just like your son."

"So what would that mean for her? Would she finish the senior year?" My mom asked.

"It would really depend on the team ma'am but I think there would be a good chance that she would not finish the year with whatever team she gets drafted to. They would want her to play right away, just like we do."

So many thoughts were racing threw my mind right now. For the next four hours, I had scouts from each of those teams come in, and explain basically the same thing the Rangers Scouts did. By the time the last Scouts left, I was drained but in a good way.

"So Lily, how are you feeling?" My coach asked.

"Like everything I have worked towards for the last 17 years finally matters and is paying off. I just can't believe that those many teams are interested in me playing for them." I said shaking my head.