Chapter 23

Today was my first day of preseason workouts with the team. I was so nervous. I woke up at 7:30 a.m. I got out of bed and changed into the outfit I would wear to the workout. I put on black leggings that ended at the ankle, a matching black sports bra, and then a grey cropped zip-up hoodie. I put my slippers on for now and left my hair down. I decided to take a mirror selfie and post it on my Instagram. 

INSTAGRAM STORY 

 Ready for Preseason!! #goducks

I headed out of my room to the kitchen while Ollie followed me. I took care of him first, putting more water in his bowl and filling his food bowl with his food. I then grabbed two bottles. One I filled with water and pre-workout and the other with ice-cold water. I went to the hall closet, where I grabbed my hockey bag and stick. I put it down by the counter. I heard my phone buzz and I grabbed it. 

Text conversation: 

T: Hey were are headed down to my car, u ready?

L: yes

L: Meet you down there. 

T: Okay. 

End of conversation

I put my ice water in my hockey bag and then grabbed my phone and pre-workout along with my bag and stick and I headed downstairs. I met up with Trevor and Jamie and we headed to Trevor's car. We put our bags and sticks in the trunk and got in the car. I sat in the front with Trevor. 

"So Lily, you ready for today?" Jamie asked me.

"I'm excited but also nervous. I don't want anyone to treat me differently because I am a girl. I have been playing with boys and men my entire life. I also don't want them to not like me because I am a girl." I told them honestly. 

"Listen there are always going to be some assholes that hate that there is a girl, in quotes ' in a man's sport/league.' But you just have to ignore them. True hockey fans and players will have to respect a good hockey player at the end of the day, girl or guy. You are a really good hockey player. You got this." Jamie said squeezing my shoulder. 

"Thanks, Jamie. That made me feel better." I told him. 

After about 20 minutes we arrived at the rink. Outside of the rink were tons of cameras. People were waiting for me. 

"Please tell me they are not having these new people be in the rink while we are training. I don't need that while trying to connect with our team." I said shaking my head annoyed.