Chapter 27

Mad Hatter

Alicia wasn't sure what to expect from the Mad Hatter, or Tarrant Hightopp, as she came to know his true name. The man truly fit the description of insanity, but his sad eyes told a different story as he himself tried to keep up with his own riddles.

After running into him on the outskirts of town, Peter and Ali followed him to his little cottage out in the forest. He lived a good couple miles away from the town and Pan was glad to be away from the many strangers. Once they arrived at Tarrant's home, he immediately made them some tea. Alicia shared her sweets with the men before they settled down to rest.

"And so, why are you two here?" Hatter finally questioned. Peter cleared his throat.

"We're looking for Flynn Rider."

"Flynn Rider? The richest man in Wonderland innit," he mumbled, "what kind of business do you have with someone as daft as Rider?"

"This is his long lost sister."

The Hatter's attention shifted to Alicia. After looking her up and down, Tarrant knew they weren't lying. The similarities were too obvious to state otherwise.

"Never knew Flynn has a sister. But then again, the boy was never really revealing in his private life eh," Hatter muttered before he slurped his tea down.

"Well, he'll be in for the shock of his life. He doesn't know he has a sister," Pan informed. Hatter chuckled before shaking his head.

"Truly a wonder, life is."

"Do you know when Rider will be back?" Peter asked. Tarrant nodded before pouring himself more tea and filling up Alicia's cup as well.

"Shan't be long now, he was only going in for some work. It's Oz so he doesn't have a good estimate of time there."

"Is it alright if we wait for him here?" Peter asked.

"Of course! Flynn usually returns to my home anyway. He can't stand the emptiness of his enormous mansion," he said and started to walk out of the room with his teacup still in his hand.

"Peter, take the guest room. The little lady will have to stay with you, I don't have another spare room," he finished before the Hatter waltzed out of the house and to his garden, where Alicia could see a mile-long table cluttered with teacups and teapots.

"Come on. Let's get some rest," Peter mumbled before dragging Alicia away to their temporary room. Ali took notice of the room and her eyes caught sight of a comfy sofa and a bookshelf. She skimmed her fingers over the leather books picking a random one out. She sunk herself onto the couch and began to read.

While the princess was distracted, Peter took it as a chance to strip out of his dirty clothes and into a set of fresh ones. When he slipped on his new shirt and turned back to Alicia, he found her frowning at the pages.

"What are you reading?" He questioned as he neared her and peeked at the words. Alicia frowned.

"I have no idea but this Shakespeare guy has some personal issues for coming up with a play about two teenagers who fall in love, only to die at the end of this book... Someone hurt him, I can tell," Alicia ranted. She slammed the book shut before tossing it to her side and jumping onto the bed.

"You stay on the couch, I stay on the bed," she instructed. Alicia was kind enough to toss Peter a pillow and a blanket before she cuddled into the soft bed, waiting for sleep to consume her.

Peter rolled his eyes but didn't say a word as he made himself comfortable on the couch. He was too tired to fight with Alicia.

Soon the two found themselves in their own dreams, unaware of the Hatter outside having a tea party.