XXXII. Black bubble gum

Monday, February 20th

They all stood in the police waiting room, all except for Matilda who decided she has had enough of the Addams, at least for another decade.

They all waited for Wednesday to finish her conversation with her father, waiting for their turn.

Wednesday finally came out, arms along her sides "you're next" she told Raven who hesitantly stood up, making her way down the hall and into a room where her uncle stood behind a glass door.

She picked up the phone which would allow her to speak with her uncle and placed it up to her ear "Hello my little Thunderstorm" he mumbled into the phone "Hi" she breathed out quietly.

Silence fell upon them "you can ask you know" he said, she let out a small chuckle "I'm sure Wednesday made you confess everything already"

Her uncle looked at her with the softest and most paternal eyes Raven had ever seen "You have also the right to ask" he said, Raven allowed a shaky breath to come out "what happened?"

And with that, he told her everything. He told her about Garret, his love for Morticia, and how the only way to protect her was the exact reason why he was now in prison.

"I'm sorry querida" he sighted "you trusted me to raise you and I was unfit for the job" this stung Raven's heart "I've never felt more cared for and loved then when you took me in"
She began "so as far as being a paternal figure, or even just a guardian...you've been more than sufficient. You've been everything that a child without a home could've ever imagined" she allowed more tears to roll down her cheeks.

He looked at her and nodded as tears rolled down his own cheeks "gracias Raven" she gave a final nod and hung the phone back on the wall as she walked out of the dark room.

She walked back down the hallway just to find Wednesday standing in the middle with her arms crossed. As soon as Raven reached her Wednesday grabbed her hand and yanked her towards the door "come with me" she said.

They walked back to Wednesday's dorm and shut the door "My dad is lying" she said abruptly "huh?" "If I'm being objective, his confession sounds entirely plausible, delivered with the perfect degree of sincerity. Perhaps my father is exactly what he says but-"
"His tells" Raven realized

"Exactly, his tells. The way he smooths his mustache" "the way he delivers a comforting wink" she added on

"We've been playing Russian roulette with him since we were 10... we know them well" "we do" Raven lightly smiled, this was the first time in weeks she felt connected to her cousin.

"I'm sorry Raven...for everything" she confessed "I'm sorry too...I was angry and enraged, I shouldn't have yelled at you" she said. They gave each other an understanding nod, and did what they knew had to be done.

"We need to talk" exclaimed Wednesday as the two cousins bursted into the sheriff's office

Sheriff Galpin looked at the two Addams girls confused "How the hell did you get in? Bernice? Bernice!"

"Bernice may or may not have received a call that her tabby cat Swifty is being held for ransom" Raven said nonchalantly "My father did not kill Garrett Gates" Wednesday insisted for what felt like the fifth time that day.

"Well, I have his signed confession, and he identified the saber he used to do it" he grinned "Both of which I'm about to deliver to the District Attorney" he stated smugly.

"Don't you find the timing convenient?" Raven asked "The coroner kills himself out of remorse for a decades-old murder case the very weekend my uncle, your prime suspect, deigns to return to town?"

"All I see is a guilty man who's finally going to pay for his crime, and cuffing him myself, oh, that was the icing on the cake" He continued to arrogantly brag.

Wednesday scoffed "How are you failing to see that someone is desperately trying to derail my investigation? I found the monster's cave, and I gave you the DNA evidence, did you even bother to test it?"

"This may come as a shock to an Addams like you, but the world doesn't revolve around you. Here" Sheriff Galpin exclaimed, he searched into his drawer for something and then pulled out a plastic bag "DNA results" he stated "No match, Inconclusive, so you truly believe this is all some coincidence?"
Both cousins remained silent.

"Whoever hurt Eugene also murdered the coroner...Unfortunately, someone sabotaged the security camera in the morgue, so we don't know what happened" he put the evidence back in his drawer "They stuck bubblegum on the lens....Black bubblegum" he smirked "Maybe I should run DNA on that?"

Raven slammed her hands on her desks "We aren't lying! Someone is trying to throw us off our game!" She begged for him to listen. The sheriff took one good look at her and laughed.

"So you're the Addams my son took to the Rave'N last week" Raven looked down before looking back up at him "no...it was Wednesday" "And that's just eating you inside isn't it?" She took and enraged breath and then stormed out of the office.

The worse part was that it was inherently true, the thought that Tyler preferred Wednesday was strangling her. She grabbed a lose piece of paper and a pen and wrote a sloppy note

If I stayed even a second longer I would've punched Sheriff Galpin in the face.

Meet you tonight in your dorm with your discoveries

- R

She then left the note on the chair and walked back to the dorms.
She walked past the small coffee shop where Tyler worked at and her heart began to ache. She peaked through the window and there he stood, coffee in hand serving the people with that stupid grin he always had planted on his face.

After the incident with the pole that one Outreach day, Raven avoided going to town if not for her regular encounters with Dr. Kinbott.

But each time, she would pass in front of this coffee shop, watching her bully grow as she did too. Although with time all the anger began to drain her and was replaced with fear and curiousness. How did he turn out? Is he still a bully? Would he remember me?

That day when he revealed that he didn't in fact recognize her made her feel weird....insignificant.

She began picking up her pace until she came face to face with Wednesday dorm room door, where they agreed to meet later that day.

She knocked, expecting Enid to open it with her usual jumpy and cheerful attitude.

The door flung opens "Where were you!" Enid opened the door looking like a pure mess. Her hair was one big knot and her face was covered in snot and tears. She threw herself on Raven, latching her arms around her and cried louder.

She reluctantly and slowly wrapped her own arms around her "what happened"