Chapter Two

The school, being the typical hypocritical high school, was weird with the many cliques and the bus with its specific sections. In spite the rules of ninth graders sitting up front, to twelfth graders sitting in the back, the most popular sat in the back and the least popular sat in the front, while everyone else sits in the middle. I, however, defy both rules and sit in the back with the polulars, when I should probably sit in the front.

I prefer to run to school and back, but there was a thunderstorm, and I'm not crazy to run with a chance of lightning striking me down. Sadly, Gwen rides the same bus. She strode to the back of the bus, ignoring all of the ninth graders trying to talk to her. Poor kids don't know about the rules yet, I thought sadly.

Gwen shot daggers at me with her eyes, and I returned the glare with an even amount of dislike.

We have known each other since preschool, and never liked each other since. Our ongoing war started when she put gum in my hair during nap time, and I returned the deed by accidentally spilling pudding on her chair before she sat down.

Gwen flipped her blonde hair and said, "Look everyone! The loser still thinks she can sit in the back!"

Gwen pointed at me laughing, and everyone started yipping, which was because of our stupid mascot the hyena. They didn't bother me though. I looked around the bus slowly, wearing a calm expression on my face. The bus grew quiet and I spoke loud enough for everyone to hear, "You may call me a loser Gwen, but at least I don't cheat."

The other students started making ooohing noises, and Gwen shot out more daggers. When Gwen turned her focus back to me, her voice turned cruel.

"So I cheated. At least I have both of my parents."

My face paled, and whatever whispers were going on in the bus stopped.
Gwen noticed she had my attention and sneered. She spoke as if she were the best, "I think I'll go hunting tonight, Mayne. Better keep your dad out of the woods."

If Gwen thought for even a split second that she didn't have my attention, she knows now. My body heated up and I snarled at her. People leaned away from me as if I was radiating heat. I rose up from my seat and stood tall. I looked down on Gwen, which is weird because she's an inch taller than me. Gwen suddenly looked as if she wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Don't ever talk about my mom. Ever." I spoke in a loud, leader-like voice and Gwen actually looked afraid. I stepped down a few notches and sat down.

"I'm sorry, Mayne." Gwen said quietly, and I nodded. She turned and sat down next to her friends.

The bus driver, Ms. Borne, boarded the bus and seemed stunned at the silence. She shook her head and pulled out of the lot. The entire bus ride was silent. Not one word was spoken the whole time. My stop was the last one, so I had to listen to the silence for a long time. By the time I got home, the silence was making my ears ring, and the noise my dad made was a reprieve. At least it was until he actually looked at me.

"What happened?" Dad looked at me as if I did something wrong.

"I got into an argument with Gwen on the bus." I shrugged it off, thinking it wasn't a big deal.

"Why? What happened? Describe what happened. Now." He ordered me around like he did it for a living. Although he's only a writer.

"Um. Well she mentioned Mom and hunting. I got mad and told her not to speak about her. Ever. It seemed like I got taller and more confident. It was cool, and Gwen apologized. Oh. I also got hot, like anyone would if they got mad, and people leaned away like I was on fire." I took a few measured breaths. Dad just stared at me, processing what I said. He nodded as if he was agreeing with something.

"Okay. Can you go outside and rake the leaves? I think that storm only lasted a few minutes, and it didn't even rain."

He asked, and I nodded. I went up the stairs and put my stuff away. Collapsing onto my bed, I pulled out the pictures of my mom I hid under my pillow.

I smiled at my mom laughing and holding me. I wished I knew her so much. She seemed like such an amazing person, and I saw where I got my hazel eyes from. Sighing, I slipped the pictures back under my pillow and went outside through my personal sliding door.

I jogged towards the shed, and breathed in the refreshing, autumn air. Opening the shed, I put on my work gloves grabbed the rake. Turing around I looked at the blanket of leaves littering the ground.

I got to work.