Chapter Five

"So, want to go on a walk with me?" I jumped at the sound of Jordan's voice. I turned around from my walk home and caught my breath. Jordan smirked. He smirked! I narrowed my eyes at him, but for some reason I couldn't even act mad at him. I groaned.

"Sure. When?" I asked.

"Now." Jordan replied. I shrugged and walked over to him. He smiled and my heart did somersaults. Darn heart, I thought, I barely know him so back off the somersaults.

Jordan turned around and started walking to the woods.

"You aren't taking me into the woods to kidnap me, right?" I joked.

"No," he shook his head, "There's a place I found that I really like, so I'm going to take you there."

"Oh." I said softly. Why does he mess with my heart so much, I thought. He smiled. Again!

"Race you." He said and took off. I stood still for a split second, then chased after him. I didn't have to try much. I was very fast and I could hurdle things like they were nothing. We ran for what seemed like a few minutes, but must have been longer since I have never been this far out in the woods. Just as I got into a rhythm, Jordan slowed down and grabbed me around the waist to stop me.

It was beautiful. Jordan stopped us on one of the many large rocks that surrounded the old willow tree. Between the tree and rocks, there was a field of flowers, stretching one-hundred yards in all directions.

I realized I was still in Jordan's arms. My face burned red. He wasn't letting go. I desperately wanted to stay there forever, but I unwrapped his arms from my waist. There was a flicker of emotion on his face, but before I could place it, he was all smiles again.

I raised a brow at him and turned around, jumping the few feet off the rock we were on, and jogged to the willow.

I pushed the frail branches aside to get to the trunk. The view outside was great, but this was amazing. The tree towered over me and had grooves where I could place my hands and feet. I climbed the tree, pulling myself up with the branches, and small grooves. Jordan chuckled below me. I looked down and saw him start climbing after me. I looked up and saw a very thick branch, that went straight out, and made that my objective.

It didn't take long for me to reach the branch, and I didn't even break a sweat. I pulled myself onto the branch and sat with my back against the trunk. Jordan was on the branch below me. He shook his head and jumped, easily wrapping his arms around the branch I was on, and pulled himself into a sitting position less than a foot in front of me. My breathing turned shallow, and my heart did more somersaults. Talk to him, I thought.

"So... why did you move to Riddle?" I asked.

"My parents have business to do here. I think they are working with your father." Jordan responded. My dad? Huh. That must be what my dad was talking about last night. Dad was probably going to a party to celebrate the new workers. Still, he used the word pack, and I didn't understand that. I brushed that thought off, and focused on Jordan.

"So how old are you?" I asked. It never occurred to me to ask him his age.

"Sixteen," he said,"You?" I smiled. Only a year older, this is looking good for me, I thought, Stop thinking like that. Jordan smiled secretively. I furrowed my brows and that only made him smile bigger. I stared into his grey eyes, but I feel like I have to look away. I hold my gaze for a couple seconds more, then I looked away realizing he was waiting for my answer.

"Fifteen." I said, and my face heated up. That was embarrassing, I thought, I just kept staring at his face while he waited for me to answer.

Yes. That was pretty embarrassing, said a voice in my head. My eyes widened and I slipped off the branch I was on, and started falling towards the ground. This is it, I thought, I'm going to die. I heard a growl as I thought that. Ten more feet. I closed my eyes. I landed with an oomph. I gasped for breath. I didn't die. I grabbed at the ground, my eyes still closed. Why did the ground feel furry? I opened my eyes and looked up into the eyes of a wolf.

I screamed and got off the wolf, backing away a few feet, not willing to go further.

The wolf has light brown fur and stormy grey eyes, that's how close I was. The beast was large and... wait. No. I rubbed my eyes. Still there. The wolf had an aura of white around it. Don't be afraid, said the same voice I heard in the tree. Then the wolf turned into Jordan. That's when I blacked out.