Chapter 31 Belestine

The vampire King paces angrily. As if that is going to solve his problem. Useless. This man is no King.

“That’s the fourth shipment they have intercepted!” He rages. I roll my eyes. Yip, queue the temper tantrum.

I watch the King hurl the books from the bookcase across the room, then he shoves everything off the desk and upends it in fury. I fight against the urge to clap and congratulate him on fixing the issue maturely, instead I wait for him to finish his hissy fit before righting a chair so I can sit down.

“Make the fifth one, the last one they get away with,” I say.

“What do you mean? We need those deliveries!” He hisses.

“They have hit everyone without fail these last few weeks, so set a trap on the next one.” I mean, really? Do I need to use sock puppets with this idiot?

“Yes! It’s time I put an end to my granddaughter’s interference. She’s overdue her visit here anyway. I have been kind enough to give her a mourning period for her mate. I will use the next shipment against her,” he declares, as though he had come up with the idea himself. “We will catch Eve and bring her to heel.” My mind imagines Eve kneeling in front of me, looking at me with love. I thought of the dream I had made for Eve, of the way her skin felt. Her lips were soft and plush against my own. Of the sensation of having her in my arms. I shake my mind free. I can think of Eve later, right now I need to plan our trap.

“We could have Asmodeus ambush them while Eve’s men are attacking the convoy and have some of our own people in the back of the trucks in case Eve isn’t there to go back with them like trojan horses.” The King looks at me as he weighs the pros and cons.

“You think it will be that easy?” He sneers.

“The attack will create disorientation as well as the urgency to get away, the people in the trucks will be safe. Any Demons that die don’t matter. There are hundreds more to replace them,” I shrug.

“Fine, try it. Do not let me down Belestine,” the King scowls at me. “We may not get another shot like this. Ensure you have backup plans for your backup plans.”

“Of course my King,” I say, bowing my head mockingly. “I will have your granddaughter back in your tender care before you know it. Book the next convoy and let me know when it will be scheduled and its route. I will start planning the truck teams and speak to Asmodeus, to coordinate the attack.”

“Make sure no one kills her either. I want her alive. Injured is fine. Unconscious too. But it is mandatory she is whole and breathing.” I nod in agreement.

“You have my word,” I swear. The first honest promise I have made to him. “I will personally guarantee she arrives at the castle safe and sound. I will bring her myself.” I pause and decide to test the waters. “Your highness, if this goes to plan and you bend her to your will and you name her your heir. Would you consider a non-vampire to court her? I mean she’s already a mutt, so it wouldn’t really matter who courts her ?”

“Only the purest and most loyal of my vampires will be allowed to attempt courting,” he says, scoffing at the idea of her with one not of his race. “I need any children she has, to be dominant in the vampire side of their blood. She will produce a powerful line of vampires to rule over those still standing when the war is won.” Well, that settles that then. I eye the King intently, in a whole new light. Not as the leader that I have pledged my service to. I look at him as prey. He narrows his eyes at me. “Is there a problem?”