Chapter 11

Later that night I called Roc around 50 times and he hadn't answered once or picked up any of my calls or messages. I was really worried about what was going on with him. I was starting to worry our friendship was ruined somehow at the party. I thought of how he said I was the only one drunk. Did I do something embarassing? Did I make out with some random guy or got naked in front of everyone or something? I didn't know what I could have done to make Roc treat me so coldly and I honestly felt bad. Whatever it was that I did, I wanted to apologize and try to make things right between us. The ringng of my phone interrupted my thoughts. I anxiously looked down at the screen to see that it wasn't Roc returning my calls, it was Princeton.

Me- Hello?

Princeton- Yeah Nicky, Roc just stopped by and said that he was headed out to your place.

Me- Really? Okay.

Just then the doorbell rang.

Me- Yeah, I think he's here. I'll talk to you later Princeton.

I hung up and ran to the door before it was too late. I opened the door and saw Roc standing at my doorstep still looking upset. I let him in silently.

Me- Roc, what the hell happened? I've been worried about you all day. If I did something to make you upset, I'm sorry. Really. I was just drunk last night and I can't remember what I did to make you so mad at me. But I really wish you would just tell me so I can-

He sat on the couch and looked up at me.

Roc- Niccolette. I'm not mad at you at all. I just had to take a break today because I needed to clear my mind.

I sat down next to him.

Me- Well Roc, what's wrong. Tell me, we're best friends.

He looked away from me and looked down at his hands.

Roc- Niccolette, I haven't been completely honest with you about our relationship but before I get into that. How do you feel about me Niccolette?

He stared me directly in my eyes.

Me- I, um, I'm your best friend Roc. Why, you don't think I take our friendship seriously?

I watched him as he got up and started pacing.

Roc- Niccolette. I haven't been honest with you because I'm in love with you. Not as a best friend, as a man loving a woman. And I realized it last night. And I just want to know if you still felt that way about me.

I stared at him silently. Roc was in love with me? I didn't even know what to say.

Me- For how long?

Roc- I've been feeling you since we first met. But then I saw you had a boyfriend so I tried to be on the low with my feelings. I've tried these past couple of months to get rid of my feelings for you but last night helped me realize that I can't. Not anymore because I am really in love with you.

I couldn't believe it at all.

Me- But, after me and Jay broke up, I saw a hickey, on your neck.

He shrugged.

Roc- One dumb mistake. While I was still in denial for my feelings for you.

Me- But, Roc. I don't know.

He came and sat back next to me.

Roc- Niccolette. Tell me what you want right now.

I thought about it for a second and looked him in his eyes.

Me- A best friend. That's what I want for right now. I need some time to think.

Roc nodded and gave me a small smile.

Roc- Then that's what I'll be to you. You're best friend.

He grabbed my hand and gently kissed it.

Roc- I'll be anyone you want me to be for you.