Chapter Thirty-Two

[Author's note: Traditional Thai weddings are pretty simple once you get past the specific names for each part of the ceremony in Thai. I did my best to get the broad strokes but if there are any issues, blame that on me—it's hard to know what you missed if you don't know what's supposed to be there.]

Mew woke up to the feeling of Korn's warm body pressed against his. If there was a better way to wake up, he didn't know what it was. But the pleasure was short-lived. They had a wedding to attend and for some reason, no matter how hard he tried, he was always late for weddings.

Nudging Korn earned him an incoherent moan but it was enough.

"I'll shower first," he said to the still-sleepy Korn only for the previous night's memories to flood his brain.

They did not have time even though his body reacted with need so acute he stumbled on the way to the bathroom. Luckily, he was out quickly and Korn was up by then. They got dressed together. The silk shirts and dress pants were as close to traditional as they could get without actually wearing the traditional garb. Mew had a matching blazer to complete his suit but Korn thought it was too hot and went without.

Korn grabbed the gift he'd bought his friends while Mew checked the clock for the hundredth time.

"Hey, Korn," he shouted as he gave both their shoes a quick brush and polish, "Could you get the red envelopes from the study."

"I can't find them," Korn shouted back moments later.

Mew joined him and was momentarily taken aback when he noticed the papers on his desk. Grabbing for them, he accidentally bumped Korn in his rush to get to them.

"Is everything okay...?" Korn asked giving him a confused look.

"Yeah. I just need to put these away," he said as he stuffed the papers into the top drawer.

He hoped Korn didn't see what was written although it was hard to believe he didn't see his name in bold underlined and circled letters. Pulling the three envelopes he'd put aside for the occasion; he handed them to Korn. They contained Korn's gift, Mew's gift and one from the two of them.

They headed out with their stuff but left the large package in the car for later. They arrive at the temple with other guests and Mew sighed with relief when he realized they were in time. That didn't soothe Korn who looked a bit nervous. Mew reaches for his hand only to realize what he'd done and pulled away.

"Sorry."

"It's okay," Korn said but Mew had to wonder if he knew what he was saying.

The venue is beautifully decorated and the smell of flowers filled the air. It didn't take long for Korn to find out that friends of the couple had a designated area but were acting as ushers until everyone was seated. He asked if he can help and is waved off by Nine.

"There are five of us doing the work of two. Go sit down."

They found a place to sit and hadn't been there long when P'Phu, carrying Piti, and P'Kavitra join them. They greeted each other in a dance of multiple acknowledgements before sitting down again. Piti, who'd been hiding against her dad's shoulder, raised her head and defected with such speed, they were in awe of how she could move so fast. Attached to Korn, she refused to let go and he seemed happy to take over the duty.

They were listening to Nong Piti tell them a story when Knock joined them with a beautiful woman holding his arm. Korn barely acknowledged him, caught up with his niece. But Mew, sitting at the end had to deal with Knock taking the chair next to his. It was awkward but he couldn't think of anything to say.