1

A/N: Who's here?

🚨Small trigger warning for suicidal thoughts and sexual assault.🚨

💜

XXXX

XXXX

Despite what Russel Fabray had declared to her mother that morning, Valerie Fabray was not a villain, though the man was helping her origin story develop from a young age.

Her father refused to accept that his actions had consequences — consequences Valerie had to deal with.

She carried around their last name like a fifty-pound weight welded to the collar her father had sewn into her neck at birth. It was a burden, her last name, that is. Not Valerie. Despite what Russel may have said to Frannie on the phone the previous afternoon.

Valerie refused to apologize for the monster her father had created. He had made her the burden. The monster. The villain. And yet, here she was, forced to live with the consequences of his actions like she had made these choices on her own. As if she enjoyed being haunted by her father's watchful eye involving everything she's ever done.

Russel once told his daughters that nobody smart plays fair, and still, to this day, Valerie considers it the most competent advice she's ever received from the man.

Especially as she sat on the top ledge of the bleachers watching Noah Puckerman jog from his mother's Volvo in the direction of the football field's gate, his busted lip visible to her straining eyes.

Valerie brought the cigarette resting between her fingers to her lips and slowly inhaled its burning fumes. Her eyes didn't move away from her ex-boyfriend until he disappeared under the bleachers she sat on, most likely trying not to be late again to practice. She could assume he was screwing around with his new girlfriend, Santana Lopez. A moment of thinking about the cheerleader's odd need to scoop up her sloppy seconds passed before Valerie exhaled smoke from her lungs, letting it release close to her body in a strained breath before finally letting go and starting over.

Her green eyes fell to her shoes once Noah was out of sight. She watched her feet swing over the edge of the stone wall bleachers, hanging over the hard concrete that sat multiple feet down.

Valerie slowly picked up the pebble beside her and let her left-hand float between her knees. She paused, feeling the grayish-black stone between her rough finger pads. Her fingers released the rock, observing it plunge near the ground.

One Mississippi.

Two Mississippi.

Three Mississippi.

Click.

Hm. Promising.

Valerie released another long breath, letting the smoke that escaped her lungs fly away with the breeze. She often considered what it would be like to fly away herself, and maybe that was why she found herself up here with her back pockets closer to the lip of the stone.