23

A/N: Long chapters are back! Who's here?

XXXX

Sam had accepted that his girlfriend's family was much bigger and more dramatic than his own. While he enjoyed the difference, and loved how welcomed his family made Valerie feel when she came over and spent time with his little siblings, Sam wasn't too thrilled when he was invited to the Fabray Family Christmas party at her grandmother Debrah's across Ohio. Not that he wasn't grateful to attend, but because Valerie looked miserable the entire two-hour car ride there.

At least she seemed to relax more once they were through the doors and avoid the eyes of her grandmother at first step. It didn't last long for Sam, however, as most of the family members around him loved to talk down on Judy, Frannie, Quinn, and Valerie after the rumored split from Russel. Most of the conversation revolved around his girlfriend and the babbling little Wasian baby she showed off around the room to those that cared.

Jax was hard not to like when his chubby cheeks and matching Christmas tux to his mother's slimming dress. Sam thought they both looked adorable matching as they did, and he had done his best to match as well with his own goofy Christmas sweater.

Sam may have enjoyed a comment from one of Valerie's less intrusive great aunts when she told him he looked like he belonged as one of the family when beside Jax and Valerie. She called him just as dashing as baby Jax, complimenting Valerie's choice of honest, good-looking men compared to her last boyfriend that attended their Christmas dance.

He couldn't imagine Noah Puckerman at one of these high society events.

"You must be Sam Evans."

Sam lowered the thin stemmed glass and offered the tall man beside him a hand, meeting his own halfway. "That's me."

"I'm the twins' cousin—Jason." The brunette smiled, eyes Fabray green eyes sparkling with mischief. "I thought I'd come meet the man that took the sobbing masculinity out of my dear cousin."

Sam frowned. "Huh?"

"People talk." Jason motioned toward Valerie as she introduced Jax to his glass of beer. He noticed very quickly that the Fabray family didn't mind any of the children drinking as long as they were in high school and looked old enough to hold a glass. "Valerie sure has been one to scare people off. With you she becomes... a bit more like Quinn. A bit more... lovable."

"She's more like Valerie than Quinn." Sam stood more attentive to Jason as the boy scanned his sweater. It was Star Wars themed and matched the boxers Valerie bought him for Christmas. Boxers he was delightfully wearing right now. "Yeah. I've got a bit of talent when it comes to taming my girlfriend's wild side, but I like the fire she has. She makes my life more interesting."

Jason's brows raised over the rim of his glass. He turned to his left as his sister appeared, having stopped to hear Sam for his words.

"Surely you don't mean that." Jessica laughed with a quick spy in her cousin's direction. "Valerie's ten steps from being in prison."

"And three from being cast out of this family." A booming voice gave an amused, tense chuckle. "I believe we have yet to be acquainted."

Sam turned and quickly placed his glass aside when he came face to face with the well dressed doctor that once ruled his girlfriend's life. He stood tall, spine straight and hands in front of him.

"Sam." Jason smirked, motioning to the hard eyed man. "I'm sure you've heard of my uncle, and Valerie's father, Russell Fabray."

"I've heard plenty." Sam nodded.