3

A/N: I will add now that Valerie may not be your favorite character, and like most teenagers, will make choices based on emotions and her own experiences. 

Sorry for any mistakes!

XXXX

XXXX

The gas station's bell jingled tauntingly over Valerie's head as she exited into the run-down parking lot through the heavy rain.

She figured the only way to get this done and over with was to check out the store not far from her dealer in Lima Heights. Valerie knew better than to attract attention within the range her father could possibly get word back from his large number of noisy friends. It was out of the question to seek anything from Walgreens or CVS near her home, so she took the drive down to Lima Heights like any responsible teenager in her position would.

Valerie rounded the side of the gas station and approached their bathrooms, holding the bag in her hands over her head to save some of her make up from the weather. She scrunched her nose in disgust at the greenish mildew growing on the old wooden doors, kicking open the door with her shoe and slipping inside.

Things in her life couldn't possibly get worse. They just couldn't, and Valerie was praying – yes, praying – that whatever she was about to find would not lead to her downfall.

Pulling her hands out of her jacket pocket, Valerie tossed the three boxes she had purchased inside the bowl of the yellowed sink and raised her head to gaze at the mirror before her. She didn't look down at the pregnancy tests for a long moment, listening to the sounds of the different junkies outside the door hanging out in the parking lot and the approaching train barreling its horn into her ears. Slowly, Valerie adjusted her eyes and looked down, picking up the first box and staring at the instructions.

"Good going, Val." Valerie sighed.

XXXX

"Valerie?"

Valerie looked away from the apartment's front door and harshly bit her lip at the sound of her sister's voice. She turned back when she heard the woman pull the door open quickly, greeting her with a suspicious raise of her brow.

"That's me." Valerie forced an awkward smile, stuffing her hands into her jean jacket and pulling it closer as her eyes flickered under her sunglasses.

"What are you doing here?" Frannie asked, crossing her arms over her chest once she checked her watch. "Valerie, it's eight in the morning on a weekday! Why aren't you at school?"

"I need an adult signature." Valerie pulled out a folded paper from her pocket and brushed it off.

"What did you do?" Frannie sighed heavily, reaching out for the paper. She frowned when Valerie pulled it back and held the pen toward her. "Valerie, I want to read what it's for before I sign anything."