Chapter 17

"Wowzers!" The Doctor shielded his eyes from the bright, afternoon sunlight "It's hot here! Anyways. Here we are, California, 1989"

"Omg" Frank ran about excitedly "I can't believe we're gonna play our first show on our tour!"

"Oh yeah" Gerard turned to The doctor "We haven't even booked a venue or got instruments or anything yet?"

The Doctor tapped his nose mischievously. "Don't worry. I can do anything, I'm the Doctor"

And he wasn't lying. In less than an hour's time he'd already managed to book them a whole stadium, a local support act and spread the word about the show. All ready for them to perform in an hour.

They shuffled nervously on the stage for the sound check.

"Holy shit we've never played anywhere as big as this before" said Gerard through the microphone. His voice echoed through the empty stadium.

"You'll be great!" The Doctor shouted from the ground. "You've got me as your biggest fan anyway"

"And me!" Said Rose, sitting at the edge of the stage, her legs dangling down.

"I wonder who our support act are gonna be" said Ray.

"They should show up any minute" said the Doctor "they're just a couple of local lads but they seemed really eager to play here tonight" he shrugged.

"Anyone would be eager to play in such a big venue" said Frank

A couple of minutes later the two kids from the opening band arrived. They looked to be around highschool age. One of them had longish dark hair and a hoodie tied around his waist, the other had curly blonde hair and was wearing a crop top.

They both looked slightly dopey but they greeted the Doctor enthusiastically.

"Wadup dude!"

The Doctor gave them a wave

"This must be the main band!" One of them gestured onto the stage "Bodacious!"

They both mimed playing guitars then threw up a peace sign and went to wait backstage for their own soundcheck.

"They seem... fun" chuckled Ray

"BoDaCiOus" mimicked Mikey, giggling.

Frank rolled his eyes

"C'mon guys be nice" he sighed, tuning up his battered guitar, that the Doctor had found somewhere in the depths of the Tardis

"We've got a show to do"

Their practice didn't go amazingly.

Gerard kept forgetting words and Ray's speaker was way too quiet.

"Are you sure we're cut out for this" Mikey whispered to Rose when he thought the band couldn't hear him.

Rose tried to look reassuring but it was more of a grimace.

"You'll be fine" she reached up and ruffled his hair "practices never go right anyway"

"Yeah it's actually bad luck if a rehearsal goes well" Gerard comforted his brother, who looked sceptical.

"Where'd you hear that?"

"Common show bizz knowledge" laughed Gerard, looking around at the others, who all shrugged. Even the Doctor looked confused.

"Oh come on am I the only theatre kid here?"

"Yup" smirked Frank