Chapter 25: A Penseive

"So what's this all about, exactly?" I ask a little too cheerfully, an overcorrection to mask my unease

"So what's this all about, exactly?" I ask a little too cheerfully, an overcorrection to mask my unease. Sitting here, I'm more nervous than I thought I'd be. I made a point to wake early, eat a good breakfast, and drink some coffee, so I'm feeling fairly clear-headed, despite last night's escapade. 

It dawns on me that I've grown quite used to all the not-knowing surrounding Sebastian and have even found a strange kind of comfort in the familiarity of my frustration with it. I fear that reality may be worse.

Sharp adjusts one of the large, velvet chairs in his office to more directly face the one I'm already eagerly sitting in. On the side table, which is now situated directly between us, sits a large, flat bowl – a pensieve. He begins to explain in a rather professorial way, "as you know, you and I were not as well acquainted in your first year here at Hogwarts."

I nod as he pulls a number of slim, glass vials from his inside jacket pocket.

"As head of house, my priority is the wellbeing of the Slytherin students in my charge. Now, due to –all– your special circumstances, the faculty were aware of your comings, goings, and undertakings. I didn't agree with your shouldering the responsibility of– well, that's neither here nor there..." he trails off.

He clears his throat and continues, "I was especially aware of your activities with your friends from Slytherin house." A furrow in his brow portrays some concern as he says, "I wish to be clear but I hope you won't think it cruel for me to clarify: those students were my priority before you were. Do you understand?"

Unfazed, I agree wholeheartedly, "Of course they were! I had Professors Weasley and Fig...I mean, you were a great potions teacher, Sharps, but..."

Some relief gives him a half-smile. He seems nervous and begins to pour each vial into the bowl. "As I explained to you, my confidence was expected these many years, and I gave my word." He looks up at me through his eyebrows with a look of worry. "Something has changed. Professor Sallow has asked me to share my perspective with you. And I feel it will be easiest to show you."

With no further explanations he offers a hand to me over the penseive and something in me knows this won't be pleasant for either of us. But we are both bound by a respect for personal responsibility so I take the hand he extends to me, familiar in its mild tremor, as we tip our faces over the bowl's edge into its swirling abyss of mystery.

—------------------------------------

Sharp's Office, Evening

The door bursts open. It's Ominis, younger than when I met him.

"Professor Sharp, you must do something."

"Mister Gaunt, have a seat."

"I can't sit." Ominis paces in the doorway, fists clenching. "As if Anne's curse wasn't bad enough, now I'm losing both of my best friends. Sebastian isn't himself, Professor. He's making himself mad with worry."