71 || Darkness

The next morning I wake up to a practically empty house.

Actually, waking up isn't an accurate term because after Chase left my room I was unable to sleep again. My mind is a fucked up place and millions of thoughts kept me up until the morning hours. From what I did to him, to what he did to me, to what he implied about the security inside my house.

Everything is a mess inside my head.

I am on my way to the kitchen when I spot unfamiliar men in all black suits and earpieces walking around our home. I blink confused, making sure that I am not still asleep because I don't recognize any of them. These guys aren't from my previous security team. And they are way more.

Fortunately, I find my father in the kitchen, something oddly surprising given the fact that he should be at work this time of the day "Dad, good morning, why are you here and what's going on?"

"Honey, good morning." He smiles at my direction "I took the morning off."

"Huh, answer and my other question now. And where is everyone?" I find it weird that he is here alone.

"Your mother and Nate visited your grandparents for the day and Logan is at work."

"I see, now, tell me what's going on and why are you really here?" It took a while to convince him to open his mouth "Fine." He sighs "Chase visited last night," Even the mention of his name makes my stomach twist. I hate him for the way he treated me "and he told me about a call he received from that weird Sebastian guy, he believes that some of our previous guards are probably working secretly for Delgado. That's why I fired them all. Brought Chase's security." He whispers.

"What?!" I knew I was right.

"Sshh! That's why I am here, I don't trust anyone around you at the moment even though he reassured me that his men are trustworthy. But ours were too until yesterday." Something ticks in his jaw.

"I see." I hum "And what? Sebastian told him that there is a rat? Why would he do that?" Something doesn't add up.

"Oh no, honey, Chase gathered that because Sebastian accidentally spilled a small information that he wasn't supposed to know."

"And what if he did it on purpose?"

"I don't think so. And Chase didn't let him understand that he caught him."

"If you say so. And what was that information anyway?"

"That your room is on the top floor of our house. He said something about the princess being locked up there during one of his weird jokes. How would he know where your room is if they don't have someone on the inside?"

Oh.

"So he does have some brain cells left." I murmur.

"Huh?"

"Nothing. Well, in that case, there was a rat probably." A wave of uneasiness washes over me. I am nowhere safe. Not even my own home "And now what?"

"Chase left early in the morning, he said he will take care of the issue and find out if there was a rat or not. Who he was, track him down and learn anything he can for Delgado's intentions. Until then, we should be really careful, even with the new security around. I don't want you to worry, though, we'll do anything to protect you. I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know. When did you all come up with all of these?"

"Last night and early this morning." He takes a sip of his coffee "And by the way, why did I find the poor boy sitting on the hallway outside your door when I got up?"