Chapter 37

Y/n can’t remember the last time she slept past eight in the morning.

When she wakes up the next day, it’s already lunch time and her head feels like it’s filled with cotton.

It’s noon. Y/n completely overslept; she missed all her morning classes.

She throws on some passable clothes and is about to run out of the apartment but stops to do a double take at the state of the living room.

It’s clean.

All the items that were scattered across the floor yesterday night are back on their old place and in her sleep influenced state, Y/n thinks the burglars felt bad and came back to clean everything up, but then she sees Lisa and Chaeyoung standing in the kitchen and feels really stupid.

“Oh, you’re awake!” Chaeyoung’s face lights up after she spots Y/n. “We made breakfast! Or well, lunch now…”

Y/n carefully approaches them. “Why aren’t you at school, Chaeyoung?”

Her little sister waves her hands defensively. “The police officers called dad yesterday since I’m still underage and we couldn’t reach you. He dispensed me from school today.”

“He knows?” Y/n might have slept nearly twelve hours but she still feels tired to her bones. It’s only now when she slowly drops her bag to the floor that she allows herself to think about everything that’s happened yesterday night.

About Sana being injured.

About her laptop being gone.

About Y/n crying into Lisa’s shoulder for so long she felt like passing out, which she eventually did, because she does not remember how she ended up in her bed or in her pyjamas.

She shoots her best friend a timid look. Embarrassment or awkwardness has never been a thing with her and Lisa, but Y/n has never been like that in front of her friend either.

In front of anyone, for that matter, and she doesn’t know how to feel about it. She feels stupid and weak, and she feels like she should’ve handled the situation a lot better. She shouldn’t have cried.

There was no reason to cry.

But Lisa sends her a wide smile, like she doesn’t care one bit.

“He’s not mad.” Chaeyoung quickly says. “They were really worried but they’re coming here for my graduation soon and dad said he’d help you replace the things that were stolen.”

Y/n frowns at that. It’s not like her stepdad to want to help Y/n out with anything.

“Anyway, how are you feeling?” Lisa asks as she steps forward to place a bowl of vegetables in front of her.

“Why didn’t you wake me up? I missed my classes.” Y/n slowly mumbles. “I’m also late for work—”

“Nope.” Lisa shakes her head. “I called Nayeon and she changed your shift with some Minhyuk guy, so you have the whole day off.”

“W-What?” Y/n stutters. “No, I already went home earlier last night, I can’t just stay home. I need to go.”

“You need to sit your ass down and eat, that’s what you need to do.” Lisa sighs, taking her hand to make her sit down at the dining table in the kitchen. “Think about yourself for once, hm? We’ll figure everything else out later.”

Y/n sits down and stares at the food. “You didn’t have to clean.”

“It was mostly just the living room anyway so it was no big deal.” Lisa sits down in front of her and starts eating gleefully, making Y/n question if they’ve been waiting for her.