6

The next few months of school fly by in a blur; uneventful, mundane and the same as every other week. You cannot wait for winter break, to get away from your boring school life and just relax, and enjoy what's left of the winter before it ends.

"Hello, Nagi." You find your white-haired companion outside the boy's changing rooms. "Lovely weather for practice, isn't it?"

"Hardly," he grumbles. "Too cold."

He's clad in his Hakuho winter PE kit, zipping up his jacket all the way up to his chin.

"Well, you look nice and snug, at the very least." You bump his shoulder with yours- unlike him, you're stuck in your regular uniform, the cold winter air nipping your legs, the sheer fabric of your tights not enough to block it out. "At least you're not expected to wear a skirt."

You shiver involuntarily, and he reaches into his jacket pocket for his black gloves. He hands them to you, and you slip them on. They're too big, the tips of your fingers barely reaching the ends of the glove, but you thank him profusely for his kindness anyways, and walk with him towards the football pitch, where Reo awaits him.

Over the summer, you and Nagi had gotten infinitely closer, a fact which apparently amuses Reo to no end. His favourite thing to do is call you and Nagi lovebirds, much to both of your chagrin (you'll never admit it, but you secretly love when he does it because Nagi gets all flustered.)

You're still skirting around your feelings for Nagi, not wanting to jeopardise the friendship you already have with him.

After all, you've got all the time in the world with him, so why rush? That's not Nagi's style, and you're not about to force the steadily growing relationship between you two if that's not what he wants.

"Ah, it's my two favourite people!" Reo is as chipper as always, seemingly unfazed by the cold. "Well, Mr. Nagi, please don't keep me waiting any longer, okay? I was getting lonely out here all by myself."

You look around the pitch; the three of you are the only ones there, with the other members of the football team nowhere to be seen.

"Where's everyone else?" You ask him, and he rolls his eyes, mood instantly souring.

"They went home like a bunch of losers." He crosses his arms sulkily. "And they wonder why they'll never be as good as Nagi and I."

You raise your eyebrows at his tone, not used to seeing this side of him. "Wow, forget I asked, okay? You only really need Nagi anyways."

That seems to snap him back into himself, and his bright grin returns. "Yeah, you're right!"

Their one-on-one practice proceeds the same as usual; Reo with his unrelenting eagerness and energy, and Nagi's nonstop complaining and whining.

You step in to aid them every so often, offering your to thoughts on how they could improve things. You're really no football expert (you've made that clear to Reo multiple times, yet he insists that you're an essential factor in both his and Nagi's progress) but accompanying the two of them to every practice for the last six months has really made you more aware of the sport.

"I'm spent," Nagi sighs, collapsing onto the grass heavily. "No more, Reo, please? I'll die, really."

Reo isn't impressed, and ignores Nagi's pleading. "Get up, Nagi! We've barely even scratched the surface of what you can do!"

Nagi doesn't listen, crossing his arms over his chest. Reo sighs, and turns to you.

"Tell him, would you? He never listens to me."