☤ 01. 𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘷𝘢𝘭

ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS: DUE TO THE CITYWIDE OUTBREAK, YOU ARE ADVISED TO TAKE SHELTER AT THE RACCOON CITY POLICE STATION. FREE FOOD AND MEDICAL SUPPLIES WILL BE PROVIDED FOR EVERYONE IN NEED.

SEPTEMBER 30TH 1998
11:04 PM

An eerie silence hovered over the Raccoon City Police Department. It was a new normal. Except now, there was the soft pelting of raindrops against the domed RPD roof. The sizeable amber light in the center of the grandeur hall shined dimly, while every other form of light around the building had been without power for days now.

The quiet was almost peaceful until someone decided to interrupt it.

Leon S. Kennedy pushed through the large wooden doors of the RPD, panting heavily and shaking the rain off his jacket. He loosely held his gun in one hand as his eyes searched the building—no sign of life.

"Hello?" he called, "Is anybody there, hello?!"

No response.

Leon groaned. "Fuck." He breathed, "Can anyone hear me?!"

He walked up to the messy reception desk in front of the RPD. He sifted through several papers to find something to tell him more about what was happening. But, nothing. He looked up, seeing a few scattered beds with torn-down separation curtains sprawled over the tile floor. Dried, dark blood dirtied some of the sheets, making him recoil slightly in disgust.

"Aw, come on..." Leon sighed, rubbing his face with one hand as he turned to one of the vacant, dark hallways. "Alright, if there's no answers here..." He gently slid out his flashlight, switching it on. It illuminated the hallway, reflecting off some shattered glass and other destroyed items littering the ground.

"Hello? Anybody?!" Leon called, beginning his descent down the long hallway.

His voice eventually quieted as he grew further into the depths of the broken RPD. What he would find there would be unimaginable.

...

It only took around twenty minutes for Leon to figure out a tiny bit of what was going on. After exhausting all the bullets in his short mag pistol, he ran for the hills, finding a sheet metal door to climb through. He slid to the floor, struggling to get halfway through before a decaying hand reached out and grabbed his ankle.

His eyes widened as he started to try to get away desperately. A hand suddenly reached down, grabbing the back of Leon's jacket and pulling him out from under the metal door. The zombie growled ravenously, clawing at the ground as it eyed its prey. A boot hooked itself on the door handle, shoving it downward. It crushed the zombie's head - effectively killing it.

"Third one in the last hour." A woman whispered under her breath. "Are you okay?"

"Huh? Yes... Yes, I'm fine..." Leon stuttered, looking up at the woman speaking.

She was a young woman with long blonde hair taken up in a tight braid. A few baby hairs shrouded her eyes and swayed in the breeze when she moved. Her face was stricken with cuts and dried blood, though she had clearly neglected to care for them.

Her outfit was rather suitable for the circumstances. She had loose-fitting army green cargo pants accented with a thick thigh holster and multiple small pockets. A broad black belt was clipped around her waist with a few deeper pockets for a small radio and a flashlight. Another holster was hooked onto the belt, holding her pistol. She had a tight black long-sleeve, partially covered by a worn-down army green bomber jacket.

She extended her hand, inviting him to take it. "Come on."

Leon furrowed his brows, reaching out and taking her hand. She pulled him to his feet. "T-there was another officer out there- I couldn't, I couldn't save..."