⚔︎22. 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘮'𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘨𝘦

In front of the pair laid a large viewing window, and behind it, a perfectly made operating table with several complicated and futuristic medical equipment hovering over it. It all seemed unused, but that couldn't be the case. 

Chloe was sure they used that table to do despicable things to unwilling test subjects. She didn't really want to know what they did. But she had a feeling it'd make her retch.

Leon's thoughts matched hers. His thoughts could only wander amongst the many horrific possibilities of what this room - this lab - was used for. Judging from William Birkin's emails, clearly, it was far more than just illegal.

"Come on," Chloe whispered, gesturing to him with her hand as she walked into the operating room and past the table.

She approached one of the mechanical sliding doors. As Leon neared, it slid open, revealing a small room with a small rack of mustard-yellow hazmat suits. A lone desk in the corner of the room was littered with used syringes and torn-up pieces of files. Chloe didn't pay much mind to them, whereas Leon's gaze roved over the area meticulously. He spotted a few ammo boxes, quickly swiping them up and stuffing them into his vest pocket.

Another door opened for them. A blue glow danced on her features as she stepped forward. A spray of sterilization spray suddenly jolted her out of her thoughts, making her yelp and use her arms to guard her face.

Leon also fell victim to the surprise spray. He grimaced and grumbled under his breath. "I could never be a scientist."

Chloe shrugged. "It's not for everyone." She mused before stepping forward into a short area. Several beams of blue UV light lined the walls. She gazed up at the light as she walked through.

Leon's blue gaze reflected the matching color of the light. His brows were furrowed in thought. 

The door to the other side slid open. Chloe hesitated before stepping forward. It was another large room with one wide walkway connecting the two doors on either side. The platform spread out a bit in the middle as if it were used as a testing or congregation area. Those same cold white lights lined the room's massive walls.

Leon suddenly walked up behind her. "What're you waiting for?"

Chloe cleared her throat. "Sorry." She mumbled.

The pair walked along the path, not knowing what would come of them the next time they did. The next door slid open to a dimly lit room. Ahead of them stood three large liquid-filled tubes. Small bubbles rose to the surface around the specimens contained inside.

Leon's eyes widened. "Oh my god." He whispered.

Neither could even begin to comprehend what was inside those tubes. Mutated limbs, infected eyeballs, things straight out of a horror film. As if everything they'd seen today hadn't. The image reflected in Chloe's eyes, another picture that would forever stick to her mind.

Leon tensed up. His shoulders tightened, his neck stiff with anxiety as he glanced around the small room. Besides the grotesque monster-filed tubes, there stood a brightly lit office, and across from it, a small holding area and another computer.

Leon approached the computer and held his wristband to it. It opened up another few typed pages of entries. Chloe wasn't sure she wanted to learn more about this place, but her curiosity overpowered her fear as she read over his shoulder.

Embryo Growth Observation
(Subject 449)

After the G embryo was implanted into the subject, we made a 50cm incision from the chest to the abdomen and began our observations. With the help of the medical team, the subject's consciousness level was kept between 15 (lucid)-GCS 10. However, the subject's consciousness level deteriorated, and further observation was deemed unnecessary. The subject was then disposed of.