𖥧23. 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦

A small lift was located at the center of the now-destroyed neutralizing room. Leon and Chloe stepped onto the tiny platform, their bodies uncomfortably close. Leon pressed the button, and the machine sputtered to life.

The lift ride was short. It felt incredibly long as the pair's heavy breathing mingled in their proximity. As they reached the top, the lift jolted to a stop, making Leon stagger slightly and rest a hand on Chloe's waist. Her cheeks immediately went red as his gloved palm pressed against her utility belt. 

"Sorry." He mumbled an apology under his breath. He didn't pull his hand away for another couple of moments despite having no reason to keep holding her. "Just... slipped-"

"It's fine." Chloe quickly replied, rubbing the back of her neck. "It was uh... nice."

Leon's lips parted to reply. "Nice-?" He cut himself short as his eyes landed on a wounded Annette. 

The injured scientist sat against one of the white tiled walls. Her jeans were ripped, and her once-white lab coat was almost entirely covered in blood and dirt from the night's endeavors. Her gray t-shirt was soaked in blood on her right side, a gaping hole torn in the fabric. The wound was deep and likely fatal.

Annette was barely getting breaths in as she struggled to keep herself conscious. Leon's good-guy mode switched, and he immediately walked toward the woman. "Oh, Jesus, that looks bad..."

He knelt down beside Annette, examining the wound. He glanced at Chloe, who was still hanging back on the lift and gestured her over. Chloe joined his side, kneeling beside Annette and tilting her head.

The scientist seemed to shift slightly when the S.T.A.R.S. agent approached. "Feels worse. Believe me." 

Chloe frowned. "I'm not gonna hurt you any more than you already are." She reassured quietly. 

"I don't know if I can trust you."

"Well, that makes two of us."

Leon glanced between the two women. "Look... about what you said. I don't know how much I believe it, but I'm willing to--"

Annette grabbed his forearm. "Just tell me you'll destroy the G sample."

Chloe looked at Leon, who reeled slightly in confusion. "No. It's evidence. It's going to the FBI."

Annette scoffed and mustered a laugh that quickly turned into a strained wheeze, shaking her head. "You trust that bitch?"

Chloe's eyes widened. "What?"

Leon furrowed his brows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Annette looked between the two. "Oh, Chloe, you of all people should know..." She breathed, almost disappointed. "She's not FBI, she's a mercenary."

Chloe's shoulders dropped as she shifted back from Annette, her eyes wide. Her suspicions were right. Her trust was well hidden. This entire time, she had a horrible feeling that Ada wasn't everything she said she was. She was using Leon and Chloe by gaslighting to finish her mission for nefarious, cruel reasons. For motives worse than what happened to Raccoon City, money, fame... 

"She's gonna sell it-- The G-Virus is gonna go to the highest bidder." Annette continued before her face contorted in a gruesome wince.  She hissed through her teeth.

Leon stared at Annette. Although his face betrayed almost no emotion, his eyes were a dead giveaway to the turmoil tangling his thoughts. Sadness, fear, anger, and worst of all... acknowledgment. Perhaps his feelings weren't so exposed either. Maybe Chloe had underestimated her rookie partner. Maybe this entire time, he didn't give her the level of trust he visibly presented.