☠ 05. 𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘳 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘩

Chloe and Leon entered a dimly amber-lit office. It was built out of polished Akasa wood, giving it a dark feel. The walls were lined with empty, dusty shelves, and a large wooden desk sat right in the middle. The desk held only a small lamp, a rusty typewriter, and a few short stacks of dusty, old books. 

Leon lowered his flashlight as his eyes adjusted to the light. He peered around silently, looking for anything useful in the circular built room. Chloe joined him in his silent assessment, turning to spot a marble head countertop holding small lion and unicorn statues. They matched the animal imprints on the first two medallions linked to the goddess statue.

"Hey, there's an elevator right here," Leon called, gesturing Chloe to the rickety, old-style elevator.

Chloe furrowed her brows, "Damn, this thing is old...  Do you think this is going to work?

Leon shrugged, pressing the button beside the door. "Only one way to find out." 

The doors slowly slid open, making a high-pitched, ugly crackling sound. Chloe gave Leon a nervous look before moving toward the elevator. She was stopped in her tracks when an arm pushed her back some.

Leon shook his head, "No. I'll go in first. To, you know, make sure it's safe..."

Chloe couldn't help the grin that spread on her lips when he said that. "What a gentleman..."

Leon walked into the elevator, relieved the floor could take his weight. Once the two were safely inside, the doors creaked closed, and they began their descent down. 

Chloe leaned against the wall, holding the rusted banisters as she closed her eyes. Now that the adrenaline was gone, her accumulated exhaustion had begun to wear on her. Leon saw her slumped over form in his peripheral vision and stepped slightly closer. Just in case, of course.

"I'm fine." She whispered, noticing the shuffle of his feet over the elevator sounds. "Just restin' my eyes."

Leon's eyes widened, and he chuckled nervously. "Uh-huh, yeah, of course..."

The elevator reached the ground floor. The entire frame shook as it locked into position, the doors sliding open to reveal a dark stairwell. Leon pulled out his flashlight again, shining the white light down the steps. Chloe watched from behind him, tilting her head. "Oh... interesting..."

"Come on," Leon whispered, walking down the steps slowly.

Chloe kept watch on his back, aiming her gun around with her flashlight. She spotted a sliver of cold, dim light coming from another small corridor. 

"That way." She whispered, motioning toward the glow.

Leon looked over and nodded, walking toward the dim light. The whir of industrial machines echoed. Steam clouded the hallway's entrance. It had grated floors, and its walls were pipes instead of concrete. It had flimsy metal railings on either side of the narrow catwalk.  It was a well-trodden path, but Chloe didn't know where it came from. 

"I've never been down here before..." She whispered, "I guess this is... like a mechanics center or something..."

Leon shrugged, "No idea... But it looks like our only way through." He gestured toward her.

She followed him as he entered the catwalk. The dim, amber light cast their shadows speckled onto the grate. It was quiet between the two as the sounds of the machines around them dominated the air around them. 

Suddenly, a loud roar bellowed above them. Chloe's eyes widened, and she hastily pointed her gun up to the grates above their heads. Leon copied her. 

"What the hell?!" He breathed, "What is that?"