𓅪26. 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘣𝘺𝘦

The four survivors stepped off the train and left what was the last piece of Raccoon City's land behind. Claire held tightly to Sherry's hand while Leon's arm remained wrapped around Chloe's shoulders.

The air was fresh and free of the decaying, rotten smell that permeated the city. A breeze blew against them, and the morning sun offered its warm, soft rays as it rose over the Arklay Mountains. A few lingering clouds swept across the pale blue sky, free of smoke and debris dust. It was almost like nothing had happened at all.

The city skyline was barely visible. A blanket of black smoke made it hard to see, but the outlines of some well-known skyscrapers and buildings still held true. Chloe gazed at the skyline as she walked beside Leon, letting the reality of their situation really sink in. The tragedy they had just experienced would most certainly be recognized as one of the biggest in American history - if not world history. It would be a moment they wished to forget but could never block from their minds.

Claire stopped as the four walked out of the city limits along the gravel pathways. She turned to Chloe and Leon before gesturing for them to talk to her in private while Sherry kicked around a loose pebble she sought out.

As she guided the pair off to the side, she let her chest fall with an exhale. "You two need to take over looking after Sherry."

Leon frowned. "What? Why?"

Claire sighed. "While I'm relieved my brother didn't get caught up in what happened tonight, he could be in trouble somewhere else. I need to keep looking for him, and I can't take Sherry with me for obvious reasons..."

Chloe sighed. "Claire, I understand, but I really think it'd be in all of our best interests if we stuck together."

She shook her head. "I know. But... Chris would've done the same for me. And I know you guys will take good care of Sherry here." She gestured to the little girl.

Leon tried to protest. "Claire, really-"

"I'm going. Chris is the last thing I have left." Claire breathed. "Please. Don't fight me on this."

Chloe and Leon exchanged a glance, contemplating Claire's words momentarily before looking back at her. Chloe nodded. "Okay." She whispered. "But be careful. God only knows what else lurks around here."

Claire nodded. "I will. If we can survive this, we can do anything, right?" She chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

Sherry looked up from the pebble she was kicking, tilting her head. "What are you guys talking about?"

Leon looked to Claire, nodding his head toward Sherry. Claire sighed and walked over to the young girl she'd grown to be a companion with. She knelt down, resting her hands tenderly on the girl's shoulders as she explained what she had to do.

Leon and Chloe stayed behind. The pair exchanged another look, and Leon gently tightened his hold around her shoulders. There was an unspoken sadness lingering between them even though the sun cast the shadows of their figures against the ground and lit up their faces instead of fluorescent laboratory lights. Neither of them were the people they used to be the night before. 

Chloe looked down, clipping open her pocket. Inside laid the small Raccoon figurine. With a few scratches here and there, it was still mostly intact, which was shocking because of how much she'd been through that night. She slid it out of her pocket and into the palm of her hand, letting it settle in both her and Leon's gazes.

Leon stared at the toy silently. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "You kept it?"

"'Course I did." Chloe chuckled, running her thumb over the detailed, adorable face of the raccoon. "Cute, isn't it?"