✇ 02. 𝘭𝘶𝘤𝘬?

With every bullet Leon shot, the worse Marvin got. His pain wasn't subsiding now, even with intravenous painkillers. The bleeding wouldn't stop either. Chloe had tried everything she was trained to know, but nothing worked. If it wasn't already hopeless, now it was.

It was hard not to have a pessimistic attitude about things during a viral outbreak. But she did her best to keep the morale up. Marvin deserved to have fulfilling final moments. She didn't want her worries and fears take away from that.

Chloe sat beside Marvin on the leather couch, trying to find a semblance of comfort as she peered over his shoulder at his computer. He distracted himself by clicking through the static feeds of the police station cameras, watching for any other activity. But each video feed was either empty or the occasional zombie walked through the camera's line of view. That is until he spotted a young woman standing at the nearby courtyard gate.

"No way..." Marvin whispered, zooming in on the figure. "Another survivor?"

Chloe's eyes widened as she stared at the woman's grainy image. She felt momentarily relieved that she and Leon wouldn't be the only people trying to escape. "I wonder how the hell she's alive..."

Faint footsteps echoed from the stairs, descending down to the main floor. Leon walked toward them, his uniform decorated with a nice tinge of blood from his killing spree. He momentarily lit up when he saw the two other survivors. Perhaps he was relieved Marvin was still hanging on. 

"Leon, over here." Chloe waved him over, shifting the computer screen toward him. "Take a look at this."

Leon did a bit of an awkward jog toward the leather couch the two were sitting on, kneeling down to look at the screen. His eyes widened, "Oh, I knew she'd make it!"

"What? You know her?" Marvin asked, out of breath.

Leon nodded, "Name's Claire. I came into town with her."

Chloe sighed, "Oh no...."

Marvin looked up, "You can get to that gate in the courtyard... The door should be on the second floor, east side... Should be a fire escape there..."

"Okay... I'll go there. Thank you." Leon offered a small grin, backing away before doing that same awkward jog to go back upstairs.

Marvin watched, his pained expression momentarily brightening with a small smile. "He's an innocent guy... Kinda... sadly cute if you ask me."

Chloe chuckled, shaking her head. "He almost brings about an air of optimism in a shitty situation. It's kind of impressive."

"Well, he hasn't seen anything close to the worst of it..." He breathed, groaning softly as the smile disappeared from his lips. "I can tell you will work just fine together after I'm gone..."

"Marvin..." Chloe furrowed her brows, "don't say that, please..."

Marvin rolled his eyes, "If you don't accept it now, you're gonna accept it the hard way."

"Yeah, I'll accept it however I want."

Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter moving closer and closer to the RPD echoed overhead. It seemed to be on the east side, where that woman was standing and where Leon was headed. Chloe looked up, "Did someone call a chopper in?"

Marvin turned, moving to hear better. "I didn't-"

CRASH. The helicopter's sounds suddenly ceased and were followed by a loud noise, ringing throughout the entire building. The station slightly shook on impact, recoiling from the crash. Chloe's eyes widened, her jaw almost falling to the floor in shock and terror.