♡25. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘢𝘻𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴

Four minutes until detonation.

Chloe turned, spotting a sliding door marked with a large green EXIT sign. "There!" She pointed. "There- come on!"

Leon nodded, "I'm right behind you!"

The pair made a beeline for the door. It slid open, revealing a large train platform in front of heavy-duty tracks. A loud horn echoed throughout the tunnel. Two large beams of white lights shined through. The train. Chloe stopped short, Leon bumping into her back as he wrapped an arm around her waist. 

A large metal pillar suddenly fell by their side. Leon tugged her out of the way, watching as the metal hit the ground just a few centimeters away from their feet.

He let out a gasp. "Shit." He breathed. "Too close."

Three minutes until detonation.

The train was chugging full steam ahead through the tunnel. They would run out of cars to jump on if they didn't act fast. Chloe's hand found Leon's as she started to run alongside the train, her eyes searching for an entrance. Their footsteps thudded beside the cars, but their speed could hardly keep up.

She suddenly found an open junction in the cars. A large yellow pole sat by the opening. She reached out and grasped it, letting out a yell as the force of the car tugged at her arm. She released Leon's hand, clasping it onto the pole as she hoisted onto the train. Her knees skidded across the rough train floor as she collapsed inside.

Leon jumped for the pole, grasping it and pulling himself up. A piece of debris suddenly fell beside him, making his grip slip slightly. His eyes widened. "Chloe!"

Chloe turned, her eyes widening. "I got you!" She lunged over the edge of the train platform, extending her hand to him. "Come on!"

Two minutes until detonation.

Leon gritted his teeth in effort as he reached for her hand. Their fingertips barely grazed one another. Just a few more millimeters...

She finally managed to wrap her hand around his. His calloused fingers grasped onto hers, his arm muscles tensing up as he used her support to get on. She pulled back with all her strength, her eyes clenching shut as she let out a hiss.

Leon finally grasped the edge of the train's platform, and his body fell forward. Chloe fell onto her back, her eyes locking up onto his as his body settled on hers. He wrapped his arm around her back, his breath quick and uneven as he turned around to see where he had just been stuck.

He gently pulled her up to a sitting position. Their bodies leaned back against the wall, their chest heaving in sync as they tried to recover their stamina. Chloe peered out of the train, seeing a sizeable fiery explosion flush the tunnel behind them. She put her hand up to block her face from the heat.

Leon, meanwhile, caught his breath. His face contorted in a wince as he rested a hand over his injured shoulders, his finger grazing the bloody bandages. Chloe looked down at her injured arm, holding it to her chest as she let her head fall against the wall. The two sat in silence for a while.

As the adrenaline began to subside, hopefully for the final time that night, Leon turned to Chloe. Chloe looked up into his eyes, offering a smile. A natural, genuine smile

"Not bad for your first day." She whispered, resting a hand on his shoulder.

He chuckled. "No. Not bad." He replied. "You did well, Agent Auclair."

She closed her eyes. "You too, Officer Kennedy." She slowly began to push herself up to her feet. "I should go... look for Claire."

"Wait." Leon suddenly reached out and grabbed her uninjured arm. "Please... Just..." He swallowed thickly, his eyes darting down to her lips for the briefest of moments. "Stay."