𐀔24. 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘥

Leon finally managed to pull himself and Chloe from the ground as the panels beneath their bodies began to loosen further and bring them closer to death. He eyed the Central Elevator, seeing the pristine glass doors open for them.

He looked down into her eyes with his arm draped across her shoulders. A small grin graced his features. It was fleeting, disappearing as soon as it showed.

Chloe gazed into his eyes. She briefly returned the small smile, even with the heavy silence between them. She glanced over the edge where Ada had once hung on, her smile quickly disappearing. Even though she was at odds with the woman, she felt horrible that she'd let another person fall victim to this.

Ten minutes until detonation.

Chloe and Leon made their way to the elevator. He pulled her inside, and the doors slid shut behind them. The descent began, and the two stood opposite each other, gazing out of the windows of the elevator. On the sides of the huge atrium, explosions burst one after another. Machines that once had a comforting blue glow were replaced with an angry red one. Various debris and rubble rained from the walls and ceiling, several pieces coming close to the glass.

The elevator reached its destination. It came to a sudden halt, and the doors slid open to what looked like a large communications center.

Nine minutes until detonation.

Several large screens covered with ERROR messages and static lined the walls above highly technologized desks. A large red WARNING label stood on one of the screens decorated with smaller text about the lab's self-destruction.

Leon looked at Chloe. "Christ, this place is like a labyrinth." He breathed.

Chloe nodded. "Even worse than the police station." 

Suddenly, a screen on one of the desks sputtered to life. A glitchy, static black and white image showed. A woman was standing there, wearing a blank tank top with a barely visible small child at her side.

"Who's that?" A glitchy woman's voice spoke.

Leon's eyes widened, and he immediately ran toward the screen. "Claire!" He yelled, lacing his hands on either side of the desk.

Chloe quickly joined his side, her eyes widening upon seeing the image of Chris's little sister. She gasped. "Oh my God, Claire!"

Claire looked at the two through the screen. "Leon?! You're down here too? Who's with you?"

Chloe moved in front of the screen. "Claire, my name is Chloe Auclair- I used to work with your older brother!"

Claire's eyes widened. "Chloe?! No way!" Her voice skipped a bit, the connection growing worse by the second.

Leon looked around. "This whole place is coming down. You need to get out. Fast!"

Claire nodded. "There's a way out. We can make it!" She turned to the screen, but her image was quickly clouded by static. "Where are you--"

Chloe's eyes widened. "Claire?! Claire, are you there?" She asked the screen frantically. Claire's image disappeared entirely, leaving the screen as a black-and-white static mess. She hit the side of the desk with her fist. "God, damn it!"

Leon gritted his teeth. "She's smart, she'll find a way out, I know-" He said, grabbing Chloe's forearm. "I hope you have good stamina."

Chloe chuckled half-heartedly. "Hey, that's my line."

He smiled. "Your witty comments are starting to grow on me a little." He turned his open palm to her. 

She looked down at his hand. "What-"