♠ 03. 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦

A door marked with a blue, marbled spade stood unopened. Perhaps it being locked was for the best, even for Leon, but he had still managed to find the oddly-shaped key in his journey to find the three medallions. 

Leon approached the door and fumbled a few keys in his hands. He sorted through a few of the shaped golden keys before finally plucking the blue spade one out of the group. He unlocked the door, pushing it open to reveal a dark room.

Desks lined the middle of the room, and open doors contained smaller conference/briefing rooms for criminal and civil RPD missions. Crimson blood was splattered on the foggy glass of some of the doors, painting a gory scene alongside the loose papers littering the tiled floor. Above the row of desks was a strung-out sign. It was decorated with colorful streamers and now deflated balloons.

WELCOME LEON!

Leon gazed up at the caring gesture. His breath caught in his throat. His face scrunched up slightly in sadness. He imagined how happy the officers were to have a new recruit. A new person to train and to protect their beloved city. 

"Oh god..." The man sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose as he closed his eyes. 

He remained silent for a moment. A gesture to all those that once sat in this office and that gave their life and autonomy to protect what they could of Raccoon City. He knew he had to continue on. If anything, he would do everything to avenge his fellow comrades. To make it out alive and to tell the tale of brave souls sacrificing themselves to a cruel demise for the sake of duty.

Leon walked down the few steps to the tiled floor, curiously shining his flashlight over the row of desks. He spotted a lock on one of them. He furrowed his brows, stepping over to get a closer look. His eyes widened upon seeing his name imprinted on a nameplate, along with a joyfully-written note about how his first mission was to unlock his desk.

"Oh, this is so fucked up..." Leon breathed, picking up the note with full knowledge that whoever wrote it was aimlessly wandering the streets or dead.

He shoved it in his back pocket, letting out a frustrated sigh as he moved on from the desk, making a mental note to return to it later.

Chloe walked down the marble steps of the station's main hall, approaching the goddess statue and sliding the two medallions out of her pockets. She hoisted each into their respective circular molds, her fingers accidentally getting caught on one of the medallions as it slid into the statue. She winced, pulling her fingers out of it and shaking her hand off.

"Ow..." 

She stepped back from the statue, anticipating something to happen. To her delight, the bottom half of the statue began to shift, revealing a door slightly beneath the floor. She could almost taste the sweet victory of escape from here, but there was still one gaping hole for that missing medallion.

"Damn... Wonder where he is with that..." Chloe whispered. In the meantime, she had to check on Marvin. She was sure he'd be fine, she'd only been missing for a few minutes.

She walked down another small set of steps, gently pushing one of the white curtains aside to get a view of the leather couch. Marvin's figure was lying down now. His entire body was limp, and the hand that once clasped over his bloody bandages was dangling off the couch. His skin had grown paler and sicker-looking, and his eyes were half-open. Short, ragged breaths struggled to enter and exit his lungs. 

"Marvin?!" Chloe gasped, rushing to his side and wrapping her arms around his back. She pulled him from the couch, propping him up against the back of the couch. "Marvin, look at me!"

Marvin groaned softly, his voice so faint that even Chloe could barely hear it. His eyes opened a bit more, and his lips parted. "Chloe..."

"Yes, Marvin, yes, it's me. That helicopter we heard before- they crashed into the east side. The pilots are dead, but Claire and Leon are fine."