✩ 12. 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘵

After retrieving the second and final electrical part, Leon and Chloe returned through the RPD and down into the underground. It wasn't without a few hiccups along the way, but they managed to reenter the jail. 

Chloe held her flashlight up, the ray of light illuminating the rusted cell doors and unkempt corridor walls. Leon slipped the two electrical parts into the power grid beside the larger locked cell containing a deceased Ben.

She kept guard while he rearranged the wires to connect to the mainframe. After a minute of trying, the grid suddenly sparked with electricity. The cell door slid open. The two gave each other a look before entering the cell.

Leon knelt down beside the man as Chloe leaned against the doorway, spinning her gun in her hand. He grimaced as he neared the already rotting body. He reached for the keycard strung around Ben's neck and saw a gray recorder in his pocket.

"Huh?" He grabbed it. "What the hell..."

She looked back at him, "What is it?" She pushed off the door, walking toward him and kneeling down.

He shrugged, "Guess we'll find out." He clicked the 'play' button.

A man's voice sputtered to life on the speaker. "...But that doesn't explain the rumors about the orphanage. I-I just find it way too coincidental Umbrella's one of the benefactors."

A woman's voice responded. "You told me this interview was about the new scholarship Umbrella set up."

"Come on, Annette. Nobody cares about that." He sighed. "They want to know about the G-Virus, and the--"

"Where did you hear about this?"

"--and that big fucking sinkhole in the city, which, by the way, rumor has it goes straight to your underground lab."

Leon's brow furrowed. "Lab?"

On the other hand, Chloe had no confusion in her expression. "Shh."

"Now, are you gonna talk to me, or are you--"

"This interview is over."

"Bitch."

The recording shut off.

Leon lowered the recorder, "What..."

Chloe stood up. Her eyes darted side to side in thought. "Hm." 

It seemed that she knew something he didn't. But she didn't want to jump to conclusions, even though the answer was abundantly clear to her now.

He spotted a paper on the small wooden desk in the corner of the cell. He grabbed it, his eyes scanning over it.

Ben's Memo.

The station's swarming with monsters. Even here I can hear their cries. But it's not the zombies I'm afraid of.

Codename: Tyrant.

The ultimate bioweapons, developed by those bastards in the utmost secrecy. To think that thing might be wandering around here...

Chances are they've ordered it to wipe out the witnesses.

Chloe looked over his shoulder. Ben could've only been referring to one thing...

Suddenly, a loud alarm started blaring. It echoed through the hallways. The sounds of cell doors sliding open, followed by the loud growls of zombies, confirmed their worst fears. Their only exit would've been blocked.

Leon stuffed the paper in his pocket. He went first, shining his light down the hallway and unholstering his gun. He jogged down the corridor, Chloe in tow. They turned a corner - and standing before them was a hoard of recently released zombies. All of them seemed to recognize their prey within seconds.