CHAPTER: III

"The first selection-"

"What? Wasn't the playing "it" was the first selection?" Igaguru asks.

"No, I was just kidding. Anyways, the first selection will involve the 55 of you in building 5. Only the top 2 teams will move on to the second selection in this survival match." Ego explains as you try to keep you excitence down.

"So, the eleven of us on team Z will play as a proper team?" Chigiri questions as he turns to the rest and you turn with him.

"But.. aren't we all forwards?" you asked as you shift your glance to them and back to Ego.

"Why don't you be the goalie? You have the face of one." Asahi asks Iemon.

"Don't. I can't say no when people ask me to do something." Lemon says as you smile a bit.

"If you ever think that's kindness, no. It shows how lame you are." You said with a sly smirk curved on your lips.

"Then, I'll play center forward." Raichi points to himself.

"Huh? No, me," Kunigami says. "No, I will," Gagamaru leans forward. "Nu-uh! I will! Igaguri, you be defense!" Asahi points at Igaguri.

"Listen up." Everyone's attention went up to you, with a gesture to the screen you said, "Ego, I want listen to you. Go on."

"Soccer was originally a sport all about scoring.
You've been imprinted with the notions of positioning and tactics, but all those roles only evolved over time. Soccer initially started out with every player being a striker. So play soccer as it was originally."

"Create soccer from zero with your brains." Ego says.
"From zero? With our brains..?" Isagi whispers beside me.

"Abandon what you've believed to be common sense until now. Shove new notions into your brain." Ego says as he points his middle finger to his head, where his brain is.

"What they really need right now for Japan to become the best in the world isn't the teamwork of eleven players. What they need is one hero." you said as you lean on Isagi's back.

"Ack-, Y/n....?" He whinces. "Weak," you muttered.

"Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior, João Félix, Jude Bellingham, Kylian Mbappe... soccer can evolve endlessly if a hero like that exists. To stop him, a new defensive systems are created. To top him, new tactics are born. One person's play can change a team, a country, even the world. That's the kind of sport soccer is." Ego says with a grin.

"Are you ready to fight, strikers?"

Before the match:

"Rock! Paper! Scissors!"

"Damn it! Isagi won!" Raichi exclaims.

"Then, starting with Isagi-kun, we'll each say which position we want to play in." Kuon smiles.

"I wanna be the forward! And I want Y/n to be midfielder," Isagi says.

"If you are allowing me play ad midfielder, rest of you must stick to your position. Disobey and feel how defeat tastes like," you said, stretching a bit.

"Only the top two teams progress. The rest will leave Blue Lock. All those who are kicked out will forever be ineligible for the national team. However, the top scorers from the three losing teams will advance to the next selection." Ego explained.

"When all the matches are over if more than one player has the most goals in a team, we'll go by fair play points, if the points are tied, the higher-ranked players progresses. Will you prioritize your own goals or the team's victory?"