Chapter 4- Carter

“What kind of place do you want to work at?” Josh asked as we walked past many stores. “I’ll take any job really. Right now I just need money, later on I’ll focus on a long term job.” “Okay. Well, you’re into fashion and such so maybe we should try clothing stores before we resort to restaurants.” “Alright.” Every single clothing store that was hiring was run by some orange, fake, snoddy girl who turned their nose up at me because I’m not a size 0. “I guess this means we resort to restaurants,” Josh sighed as we walked out of the last clothing store. “Yup, but I’m a little over dressed for an interview in a restaurant don’t you think?” I laughed, looking down at my heels. “Do you want to go back to the hotel and change?” “Yes please,” I nodded, linking arms with Josh as we walked towards the hotel.

“Is this casual enough?” I asked, walking out of the bathroom in an oversized sweater, light skinny jeans, and my brown boots.  (http://www.polyvore.com/chapter_yfm/set?id=74848658) “Carter wearing normal clothes? I must be dreaming!” Josh gasped, clutching his chest. “Oh hush it; it was bound to happen someday. Now, let’s go!”

“How do you wear high heels?” Josh asked as we passed a shoe store with heels on display in the window. “What do you mean? You wear them on your feet just like any other shoe.” “That’s not what I mean. Like, how can you stand them? They look so uncomfortable and they make that terrible clicking noise every step you take.” He shuddered at the thought. “I’m a girl, girls get used to it.” “I don’t see how. Anyways, how do you plan on working in a restaurant? You have to be around a lot of, err, males.” He looked at me nervously as I froze in my place, not caring about the numerous people running into me. I didn’t think about that. How was I going to do that if I got a job? I guess I’ll just try to do whatever I can not to freak out around new guys. “I’ll just have to learn to get it over it. You know face my fears” I nodded, resuming the search for ‘help wanted’ signs. “Okay, there’s a sign right there!” Josh pointed out, dragging me behind him.

After going to almost every restaurant and not succeeding in finding a job, we decided to give up for the day. “Wait, there’s one!” Josh pointed to a place that looked like an old, run down diner across the street from the hotel I was staying in. “I don’t know, Josh. That looks pretty shady, don’t you think?” “Carter, you really need a job. We should go in and check it out, if it’s not for you, then we’ll leave and look for more jobs tomorrow.” “Fine,” I sighed, walking towards the diner.

“Hello, I’m Carter. I saw the help wanted sign and was wondering if I could apply for the job.” I smiled at the elderly woman standing behind the counter. “Oh my, finally someone. I’ll go get the owner.” She politely smiled and shuffled through a door to the back. “Aw, she’s adorable!” I squealed, turning to Josh. “You’re so weird,” he laughed, sitting down in a booth. “I’m not weird,” I pouted, turning back towards the counter, waiting for the little old lady to come back. When she finally came back, it was with a man who looked to be in his mid to late twenties. He wasn’t extremely attractive, but he wasn’t too bad either. “Hello, are you Carter? You sure are beautiful. I’m David, the owner. But, you can call me Dave.” He smiled, reaching out his hand. I hesitantly shook it before quickly backing away. “Yes, I’m Carter. I’m here for the job opening.” “Alright, come back to my office for an interview.” He smiled, motioning for me to follow him. I shot a worried glance at Josh but he just motioned for me to go on. I let out a shaky breath and nodded, following Dave.

“Here we are,” Dave smiled, opening the door and urging me to enter his office. I walked in and as soon as Dave shut the door, I was slammed up against it as he forcefully pressed his lips to mine. My body stiffed but I soon started hitting his chest, trying to get him away. “What the hell are you doing?” I spat, hitting his chest a final time. “Just trying to have a little fun, now shut up.” He growled, sliding a hand under my sweater, resting it on my hip as his other hand slid down to my bum. “Get off of me!” I tried pushing away but he dug his fingers into my hip, causing me to whimper in pain. He pressed his lips to mine again but I didn’t respond, I just stood there. He pulled away with a pissed off expression on his face, “If you want this job, you’ll do what I say and you won’t tell anyone, got it?” “No, I don’t want this fucking job. I’m not going to be your little toy, there’s no way in hell. Have fun finding someone else.” I spat, pushing him away and straightening out my clothes. “I know where you stay, Carter. I’ll come visit you sometime,” he smirked, leaning against his desk. I scoffed and walked out of the office, gaining my composure before facing Josh. What was I supposed to tell him? Dave tried to have his way with me and wanted me to be his little whore? No. I’ll just tell Josh that I got the job or something. He’s busy with rehearsals anyways so he won’t be able to come and try to visit me at work. There’s just no way I’m going to tell him about what Dave just did and said to me, I’d rather not have Josh go to jail for killing a guy.