05

The group made our way back to the dorm. Jane had decided to join them, much to Maia's delight; not that she'd let that show.

Evie was seated at her desk, doing homework. Mal was resting on her bed drawing while Maia was sitting near the window, watching as people passed.

Jane spoke up. "Mom said, "If a boy can't see the beauty within, then he's not worth it." Can you believe it? What world does she live in?"

"Auradon," Mal answered sarcastically.

Evie held up a dress. "Mal, Thea, do you like?"

Maia smiled and nodded. "That's pretty."

Mal nodded. "Yeah. It's cute. It brings out your eyes."

Evie smiled. "I know."

Jane let out a dramatic sigh. "I'll never get a boyfriend."

Mal shrugged. "Boyfriends are overrated."

Maia frowned slightly. "Well, I don't know about that."

"And how would you know, Mal?" Evie teased. "You've never had one. Maia, have you ever had one?"

"It's cause I don't need one, E. They're a waste of time."

Maia shook my head. "No, but there is this one guy. But I'm not telling you two."

Mal smirked. "Oh, I think Evie and I already know. It's Ben, isn't it?"

"No," she lied, earning looks from everyone. "Yes. But you can't tell him!"

Evie gasped and her eyes widened. "I forgot to do Chad's homework! Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no."

Mal said, "And that is exactly what I mean."

Maia peeked at what Evie was doing. "You know it's wrong to do someone else's homework, right? You could get in big trouble."

Evie frowned at me. "I'm helping him out."

"Sure, you tell yourself that. He's using you, Evie."

She pursed her lips and ignored the brunette.

Lonnie, who had a short bob, knocked walked into our room. "Hey, guys! Hi, Thea. I'm Lonnie. My mom's Mulan? No? Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us, and, well, you're evil. But do you think you could do mine?"

Maia waved. "Hey, Lonnie. They're not evil. They're just... particular in who they choose to like. Like me."

Mal shot Maia a look before frowning at Lonnie. "Why would I do that for you?"

"I'll pay you 50 dollars."

Evie nodded. "Good answer. I need to buy more material. Let's see. I'm thinking we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights."

Lonnie nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I want it cool. Like Mal's."

Maia pouted. "What, my hair's not cool?"

Lonnie smiled at her. "Your hair is perfect the way it is, Maia. You have amazing hair."

"Blessings of my dad I guess. I really don't know how god/demigod genes work."

Mal seemed surprised. "Really?"

"The split ends, too?" Evie questioned.

"Okay." Mal decided. "'Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair.'"

Lonnie's hair grew and became long and curly, like Jane's. She looked at it in the mirror as Evie said, "I know. I know. It looks like a mop on your head. You know what? Let's cut it off, layer it..."

Lonnie shook her head. "No, no, no, no, no, no! I love it."

"You do?"

Lonnie nodded and ripped her skirt. "It's just... Now I'm cool."

"Like ice," Mal answered.

Jane's eyes widened after she ripped her skirt. "What did I just do? Mom's gonna kill me!"

Maia smirked lightly. "We'll sew it up and only we'll know the truth."

"No mice doing the sewing, right?"

"No mice. Those things are filthy anyway. Sorry, Cinderella, but it's true."

When the girls left, Maia frowned at Mal and Evie. "Nice job you two. You're turning the good kids."

Mal shrugged. "A little rebellion is healthy."

"You're lucky Elias and I haven't told Fairy Godmother about you guys breaking and entering the museum. We still could. And if you make me mad enough, he or I or both of us will."

"Blackmail, Maia? Really?"

"Yeah, really. But you know what? I can you're not really a villain. You don't want to be like your mother, do you?"

Mal's eyes flashed green and she lifted a hand.

"Spell me," Maia challenged defiantly.

She shook her head. "No. I don't want to. You're better than these prissy people."

"Thanks. I try."

Evie smiled. "It shows. Now, tell us about your crush on Ben. I want to know all the cute details."

Maia shook her head. "You're way off base, and I won't say anything about it."