06

After tourney practice, the boys came to the girls room.

"Yo-ho-ho!" Jay cried as he entered.

Maia looked up and frowned. She'd put headphones in, trying to ignore the VKs and was trying to focus on her homework.

"Hey!" Carlos greeted.

"Did your plan work with Jane? Are you going over to see the wand?"

Mal glared at him. "Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in this book if I hadn't completely struck out?"

Jay winced slightly. "Oh, someone's in a bad mood."

"My mom's counting on me! I can't let her down!" Mal hit the back of Carlos' head.

Jay looked at her. "We can do this... if we stick together."

Mal smiled. "And we won't go back until we do. Because we're rotten..."

The four placed our hands in the middle. "To the core."

"And you're all loud and annoying!" Maia spat. "Oh, if my great uncle was here..."

After a moment, Evie said, "Oh, yeah. I found out that Fairy Godmother blesses Ben with the wand at coronation and we all get to go." We all looked up at her. "I have nothing to wear, of course." There was a knock on the door. "What?"

Mal stopped her. "Hold that thought."

She opened it to reveal Ben and Elias. They smiled and Ben said, "Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today. We were just wondering if you had any questions or anything... That... you needed..."

Mal glanced back at her friends and they shook their heads. "Not that I know of."

Ben nodded. "Okay. All right. Well, uh, if you need anything, just, uh..."

They started to leave and Mal stopped them. "Oh, wait! Um, is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?"

"Yeah, the whole school goes."

Mal smirked. "Wow. That is beyond exciting. Do you think that it's a possibility that the five of us could stand in the front row next to the Fairy Godmother, just so we could soak up all that goodness?"

"Five?" Maia repeated, probably not as quiet as she thought.

Ben offered her a small smile. "I wish you could. Up front it's just me, my folks, and my girlfriend."

"And your girlfriend?" Mal questioned.

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

"Okay. Thanks, bye." Mal started closing the door in Ben's face.

"Oh, but, no, there's plenty of..." Ben was cut off.

Mal closed the door in his face. "I think it's time that Bennyboo got himself a new girlfriend. And I need a love spell." Carlos tossed her the spellbook.

Maia narrowed her eyes. "Don't do this."

Mal ignored her and smirked, already getting an idea. "Maia, how do you feel about Ben?"

"I... He's sweet and he's gentle. He truly wants the best for this kingdom."

"Do you want to be with him?"

"Well, yes, but I'm not going to break up a couple for the sake of my own desires."

"Maia, you like him and he obviously likes you. Take some initiative!"

That evening, the VKs made their way to the kitchen to create a love spell cookie.

Mal opened up the book and we started preparing the cookie batter. When it was almost ready, she said, "All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry."