𝟏𝟖 | 𝐓𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

LEONARDO

Her tiny, warm body was snuggled into my chest. It always shocked me how much she had grown from a newborn. My hand slowly went up and down her small back as she continued to drift off to sleep, soft snores coming from her and resounding against my body.

Amalia was a good child. I still found myself marvelling at how amazing my daughter was. She never failed to bring me happiness. That day she had been fully entertained and drained from all of her fun.

I lifted my head above the mess of fluffy curls on her head to be able to see my mother coming into the living room, holding a knitted bag filled with what seemed to be food.

"Mama, we don't need this. I can cook for myself," I quietly reassured her, hoping Amalia wouldn't wake up. It took ages just to get her to fall asleep after the excitement of seeing me again. I would have to leave her soon and the thought of disappointing her made me feel bad so I made sure she slept before I left.

My mother frowned at me, tutting to see if I dared to object again. I couldn't resist anymore as I knew she would begin her tedious lectures. She placed the bag on the small table and made her way slowly to the chair where she sat down comfortably.

My mother got married young, too young and had me not too long afterwards thus her appearance was still youthful. She took care of herself, the woman cooked fresh food everyday; she hated using ready made or canned food and exercised regularly. She was even bringing Amalia to join her on her daily jog in the morning.

My mother was a lot happier at that point in her life. It was nice to see her finally live for herself and not for others, away from restraints. She owned her house and had her own job, she decided on what she wanted to for her future and lived exactly how she desired. I felt proud seeing my mother make something of herself after all she had been through.