𝟐𝟑 | 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐇𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐞𝐬

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

LEONARDO

A huge exhalation of annoyance came from me as I ran my hand through my hair, feeling incredibly exhausted and frustrated at how the evening before had went, leaning back in my chair.

That fucking pig.

I hadn't slept at all that evening, instead my mind had kept me awake all night thinking about the hospital visit. Something about that man didn't sit well with me, even Francis hadn't rubbed me off in such a bad way like Giovanni did.

What made it worse was the fact that Maria was defending him. The naivety of her pissed me off. She was a strong woman, loyal to the people she loved but that meant that she wouldn't view the people closest to her as suspects. My experiences in life had forced me to come to a realisation that the people closest to you aren't always the most trustworthy. I didn't want her to learn that the hard way.

It was another lonely evening that night. As soon as we had gotten home, I isolated myself into the office and dealt with work as a way of avoiding her. The next day, I was in my main office at the company, typing away on the computer. I preferred working at home but I couldn't escape any more important meetings. I hadn't seen Maria since and felt the urge to check on her. She was fine, I knew that, I kept reassuring myself that I hadn't done anything wrong.

But something about that look of disbelief in her eyes was telling me that I had wronged her. Unusually, I felt bad. Her previous words rang through my mind, 'you hurt my feelings the other day'. Once again, I must have done the same mistake again.

Marco came into the office and I was automatically drawn out of my compelling thoughts. "Don," he greeted, placing the files on my desk. I nodded back at him, rubbing my chin as my mind lingered on the thought of her.