⟢ hype boy , isagi yoichi !

you're my chemical hype boy

❝ you're my chemical hype boy ❞

_______

isagi yoichi ! x reader
genre & type ! fluff ficlet

♥︎

( now playing...!
hype boy , newjeans )

BECOMING AN EGOTIST meant that failure equated to not just being unable to grasp an opportunity, but losing a game or match where nothing had been gained

BECOMING AN EGOTIST meant that failure equated to not just being unable to grasp an opportunity, but losing a game or match where nothing had been gained. Isagi excelled as an egotist, taking his skills to the next level and reinventing himself in real-time while on the field. That said, losing can be dehumanizing and worst, soul-crushing. A complete shut-down that was the brilliance of Isagi Yoichi's mind forced him to accept failure.

He utterly detested it; the idea that all the skills he had acquired up to this point were all for naught against an opponent vastly superior to him in every manner - his play style exceeding his own understanding of the game. He loathed to lose, but what was worse was to have to accept nothing from the outcome.

That was what happened today; his opponent had completely shut down the engine that was Isagi's mind with outer-worldly plays that were near incomprehensible to the human mind. The game ended with a loss of 2-6, it was devastating.

Isagi returned home in a soured mood, that much was bound to happen with a humiliating defeat but what was worst was the gnawing sensation in his chest, accompanied by the voice at the back of his mind whispering, 'you're not good enough' over and over again.

Isagi wasn't a natural-born genius on the field. Sure, he adapted well to situations but he didn't possess the infinite possibilities his fellow football players had. In fact, he was fairly average in terms of physique and speed - all disguised by his meta-vision ability to see the potential goals. It was fair to say that without his adaptability and egocentric personality, Isagi would've remained an average player all his life.

Compared to you, he would've been nothing...

You are the star player of your team. The sun that the planets revolved around was the fire that breathed life into your teammates. You had the genius talent that Isagi lacked all his life. So when compared to you, there was an aspect of yourself he realized he was partly envious of.

He adores you, he truly does. Isagi poured his heart and soul out to you every single day; whether or not he was physically present by your side didn't seem to matter as he made sure to bring himself into every aspect of your life - messaging you before your day starts if you're halfway across the world, sending you letters and gifts, and taking you on the sweetest dates. He loves you, that was for certain...

But there were times when he felt insecure in some way in the relationship. Like he lacked something fundamental in order to be with you.

"Yoichi...?"

Isagi snapped out of his thoughts, lifting his head up to see you staring at him worriedly. His dinner was mostly untouched while yours were mostly finished.

"Is the food not good?" You asked, frowning at your boyfriend's sullen expression. You set your fork down, worried as Isagi forced himself to smile.

"No no, it's not that... I just..." Isagi's feigned smile fell, and he set his own fork down as well. "I'm not that hungry..."

You knew better; Isagi wasn't letting on the fact that he was deeply upset with himself for losing that game. It hurt his pride, and worse, it made him doubt his own abilities.

"C'mere," you made your way over to him, gently holding him in your arms. He melted into your touch, his eyes fixed on the untouched dinner set out before him.

"It's okay," you reassured him. "Losing one game doesn't mean that you're bad at the sport. You of all people should know that... It's another challenge for you to get over, a hurdle to improve yourself for the better. Now that you've learned what the enemy is capable of, you can formulate a plan."

Isagi remained silent but listened to your soothing words, he bummed quietly in response.

"You may never face them again, who knows... What matters is you keep moving no matter what. This sport is unforgiving, and we must constantly evolve our skills. You take the talents around you and make them your own; you adapt to the impossibilities and shape them into your own gameplay. That's my Isagi Yoichi."

You couldn't see it, but he was finally smiling. You felt his shoulders finally ease up, letting the tension loose as he turned to you. A smile graced your features as you kissed his forehead quickly. "Feeling better?"

He nodded, gently holding your hand to the side of his face - it was a soothing gesture. "Thank you..."

A soft laugh escaped your lips. "Anytime."

author's note !

author's note !

( 041623 ) i put two requests into one since both had a similar scenario, hope the requesters don't mind,,,, isagi was very fun to write ngl - he definitely overthinks 100000% of the time

gonna be posting more consistently (at least once a week, or more) - hope you're looking forward to it ! & hope you enjoyed this one :)

thank you so much for supporting me as always !

until next time!

support me ! twitter , huawynn | ao3 , huawyn | commissions , ko-fi.com/yiing