chapter 6 - the bet

I wasn't fully awake until I saw Sam looking up at me from the bottom of the stairs. He smiled and went into the kitchen, I followed.

"Where is Vince?" I asked

Then Jamie yelled "Yes!"

Jason said "No! We said when we see her!' That doesn't count. We have been trying to come downstairs for 3 minutes already."

"Bullshit" Jamie laughed. "Give me your money. Now. 5 bucks for everybody!"

Then money literally rained on the kitchen table."What the fuck is going on?" I said. I was mad because I was fully aware that whatever was happening, was about me.

"There is a bet about you," Sam answered.

Everybody went silent because it is the first time we spoke in 3 months, Jason was a little annoyed. He was more annoyed that Sam told me about the bet.

"Jason. The money is literally raining. I get there is a bet. It was obvious. But about what?"

"About how long will it take for you to ask about Vince," Sam said with a cocky smile.

Jason stood up and approached Sam. "What are you trying to do Sam?"

"It was obvious, let it go Jason please." I was between them trying to avoid a fight. One of my hands was up as in trying to stop Jason, and the other one was on Sam's hard chest.

"That's okay we are not going to fight. He is just mad that he lost the bet?" He turned his sentence into a question in the end because he wasn't quite sure.

Jason looked at me and said "He is right. "

"So my answer?"

"I told you, he will be here at noon." he looked at the kitchen door "Who decided to wake up, rise and shine."

Dylan was at the door looking at us in a surprised way. Jason, me, and Sam looked at him smiling. "Good morning," he said, with a forced smile. "Sorry, I feel a little bit unwell."

It was obvious actually. He was pale, his eyes were like a zombie's.

"Well, it is obvious," Sam said and smiled. Hearing his voice makes me happy. I smile at anything he says.

"Maya has the best cure for illness. You have to have it." I said. Jason and Jamie laughed really hard.

"He should be trying Maya's hangover cure," Jamie said.

I looked at Jason for an explanation. "Well yeah, we were out last night," he said.

What? He was just in my room last night. When and how and why? I did not like this.

"Don't be that way. You know we would tell you too" Jason explained.

I'm glad that they thought that was why I was mad. I didn't know what the reason was, but I know that it wasn't that.

"If we didn't want to pick up women," Jamie said smiling.

"Shut it" Jason warned.

Now it is my turn to say something. But I don't want to make a comment. "Well, I feel sorry for those women," I replied, hiding behind the fact that I'm always sarcastic.

Jason, Jamie, and Dylan laughed. Sam did not. He looked at me confused. He did not buy it. We looked at each other and I forgot everything for a minute. That was the minute I decide eating in my room.

"What's new with you and Sam?" Maya asked coming into my room. Not once did she ask me anything about Sam or Vince. She was the only person in this house who did not get involved in anything. "Jason will ask. I thought you should be ready."

There was nothing new. Everything was correct and always should have been. That is why I will tell him when he asks.

Jason came into my room an hour later. It was almost noon. "Vince is probably on his way. Want to come down the stairs?"

It is not that Jason cannot hide his feelings, it is just that he does not want to, he is not trying. It means he will eventually open up the topic. So I helped him.

"That is a lame excuse. Just tell me already."

"Why was he in your room?"

That was not the question that I was expecting. How could he know? Dylan told me he understood that I was having trouble understanding everything. I was mad at Dylan because he just ran to Jason and told him. He shouldn't have.

"Don't be mad at him," Jason said. "He seemed troubled yesterday. We took him out with us, we were tipsy and talking. It came up. He is a cool guy."

I was still mad. Even more than mad. It is something that did not solve yet. No one talked about this for too long. They are not the first people to talk about this. "Tell me what you think. It is difficult to read now," he said.

"Look, it's nothing. He wanted to check if I was okay. Okay? Nothing to worry about, or anything funny to tell Vince."

I wanted to say don't tell Vince. It was the only way. Plus, he had played his part in this twisted relationship as well.

"I made that mistake once. It will never happen again."

"But?" There was an obvious but there.

"But, you cannot be the way you used to be. Him coming to your room is not acceptable, Diana."

He clearly knew more about this than I did. My conversation with Sam from last night was in my head. He also hinted at something similar. As if there is more than what I know. That could be the only time for me to figure it out.

Sam had a moment to tell me but chose not to. I don't know when the next opportunity will be. Vince on the other hand is the most secretive person ever. I know his everything.

From the secrets that he chose to tell me to the secrets about him that he is not even aware of. But if I don't know this he will never tell me. So Jason is the only person that can tell me about this. So I need to learn.

"Why?" He did not look at me. "Why! I am really about to lose it. Seriously. He was my best friend for a minute then he was gone. Just like that. Because he got punched."

"There is clearly something else going on between them. You need to stay out of this. You were his best friend, but don't forget that they were like brothers too. They need time I guess"

"Please tell me what you know Jason. Because I need both of them in my life and maybe there is something that I can do to fix it. They both trust me"

I was almost about to cry. I was selfish. I always looked at it from my perspective. Vince obviously means so much to him too. Like he does to me.

He got him into his house when he was a young boy as well. They became like brothers. With that punch, he lost him as well. I should have seen that he is hurt too. Instead of trying to fix things for myself, I needed to fix them first. I had to.

Jason must have felt bad. He came to me and gave me a hug. "Of course they trust you. Whatever happened won't change that. They just need time okay? It was easier for both when Vince was in England. Now it is a little bit harder"

Then he kissed me on the head and left. I'm glad that he left because I have to make a plan.