chapter 4 - the bond

The next morning, I walked to the kitchen as Jamie was saying "Guys, this morning is something to celebrate." Raised his orange juice glass and everybody did the same. "Dylan is all grown up. He got the approval look from the big boss."

Jamie is the older brother everybody should have in their lives. He is the most energetic person in the house.

Everybody in the room cheered, except for Sam. They hit his back and laughed, I heard a few 'lucky bastard'. Meanwhile, Dylan seemed clueless. Then Jamie began to tell the story of his first approval of him

"What are you talking about Jamie?" I asked coming into the kitchen. Everyone went silent. " Don't you dare act like I'm him. I'm not Vince, even I get approval looks guys." everybody laughed.

I was glad that I killed the tension but it made me nervous to know that it was there, to begin with. Then I felt some tension again, realizing Sam was looking at me.

"So what is your story?" I asked during one of these silent drives of ours to buy some things Maya asked for. I could sense that Dylan loves that silence but selfishly I did not care. He will get used to me, he had to.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"C'mon, tell me your story. You are working with a man like Vince when everybody clearly thinks that he is dangerous and you are here. You must have a reason. Don't get me wrong. I am trying to get to know you. I don't want you to be my hired friend, I want you to be my real friend. Maybe?"

For a second I assumed he won't answer me, then he opened his mouth to answer then closed it. When I was thinking why he was hesitating, he answered "I think that was the problem with Sam."

That really hurt me. I didn't know why actually. I was forcing him to be my friend. He did not have to be my friend. Not everybody needs to like you, Diana. You childish woman. Sometimes even I don't like myself. Seriously.

"Okay then, sorry." I hope I managed to sound sarcastic. I had no right to get hurt if he only wants to have is an employer and a boss relationship.

The road was filled with a long awkward silence.

"What time I pick you up?" he said when we arrived. I snapped "You don't get it. Because you are my friend, I asked you to come with me to Adelina, not because it is your job! But the fact that we are not friends won't change that. Park the car I will be waiting outside." I got out of the car. I was upset more than I was mad.

He was walking behind me which was making me even angrier. I picked everything that Maya needed with a huge silence. There was at least one week's worth of food there. However, it will probably finish in 3 days.

Again, the silence in the car was stabbing me. It was like torture.

"I was 16 when Sam started his job. Actually, his father used to work with Vince's dad. The three of us almost grew up together but then Sam's dad left and he left with him. When I was 16, he came back and started the job. I was a teenager whose dad left. Actually, it's not an excuse. I was a teenager and he was like a movie. Handsome, charming, protective, and funny."

His confusion increased with every positive thing that I said about Sam.

"At the time, he was trying to save money for college. He was eager to do everything. He was smart and fast. He became Vince's first man in a week. I was crying over some silly thing from school when he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. Then it was it. I had this crazy stupid crush back then I called it 'love' for him. I was his little sister. Jason saw me every time I blushed. He warned me a lot and then he changed his job. We started not to spend time together and that crush faded away."

This need in me to fill the awkward silences... I already felt like I talked enough but I wanted to talk more.

"Then 3 months ago, right before he left for England, we were having a drink with the guys and it turned out that Sam had a crush on me too. We all started laughing about it, including Jason. He even shared my blushing stories. Jason and I headed to Vince's office after we drank and Jason was jokingly telling the story to him as well. And Vince.. he was already mad at something else, he is always mad at something but Vince ..he freaked out. Then he threw everything off the table and was ready to crush more."

I remembered that moment, again. I have never seen him like that. It was brutal. He was brutal.

"Jason held him tightly, but even he couldn't contain him. It was so stupid. It was nothing. But he did freak out. He ran to him and punched him. Sam had no idea. All I did was just stand there and I was so scared. He fired him of course. Then I convinced him to take him back. Sam... He did nothing. So that's the Sam thing that you wanted to know clearly."

It still hurt a little bit. The more I spoke about it the more I realized that there was nothing. Literally nothing. Vince was out of his mind. With Sam, we can't even look at each other. I was hoping that he wouldn't ask any more questions.

"Why didn't he leave? I mean you said he was saving money but he is still there?"

That was the most stupid reaction that anybody could give to this story. He could see I don't want to talk about it anymore.

"Well, that is something about Vince. That is why I was asking you for your story. When you start working with him, you just can't go."

His impression made it clear that he did not understand any of what I just said. I hoped he will never have to.

"I mean I don't know how to tell you. He is a man with a big heart. He helps everyone in the house and their families. He is honest, reliable, and a really good boss."

"Well even Sam stayed after he got beaten up, so this means you are right." he smiled. Because of that, I gave him the silence that he needs on the way back home.

"My dad," he said as we arrived.

There was this huge pause that we spent looking at each other. "He left us huge debts that my brother and mom can't afford. So I needed to try everything."

I was glad that he could say this to me and a little bit disappointed that he could not say this to me earlier because it is nothing to be ashamed of.

"How much money are we talking about?" I asked. He was not expecting this question. "Don't get me wrong. I just- I mean I can talk to Vince. If I tell him, he would give you the money."

He was about to answer when Jason knocked on the window of the car and I screamed. "We are waiting" he stated. Of course, he had a suspicious look on his face.