chapter 3 - he is back

Diana

 I woke up very early in the morning. Even Maya -our maid- did not wake up and she was the early bird. But I need to make the omelet that Vince likes. Eventhough, it is the only thing that I can cook, he acts like it is his favorite out of thousand things that I cook.

As I was singing and cooking I realized I haven't sung in a long time. Probably because of the shit went down. Yesterday, I started to sing again because Adeline was coming. Yet, that giant happiness that I felt the minute I saw Adelina was like a tiny breadcrumb comparing the minute Vince looked at me in the crowd.

That was uplifting happiness. I was so selfishly mad at him and that helped me when he was gone. Because apparently, I wouldn't be able to handle his absence.

Then it hit me. He also might have news for me that is life-changing. I forgot about that. He might have news from my dad!

That was why I could not be mad at him for too long, and he knew it. He has been everything in my life till my dad left us. 'to protect me' is the lie that everybody, especially Vince, is trying to make me believe. He has been looking for him for so long, just to make me happy.

Before he left, his last lines were "I know you are mad and first, you will say that you don't want to talk about it, but later you will want to. But I will be away. When that time comes please remember that I am going not only for the job but also for the possibility that I might hear from your dad."

With those lines, he left. For 3 months. I was so used to him. Sometimes too much makes me angry at myself. I'm used to this life with him and I don't need my dad. Sometimes I got scared of the idea that I forget he is gone. It is all because of him.

He was there for me with everything. My injuries, my illness, my graduation, my prom -as a date-. It was funny actually. Nobody wanted to invite the girl with trouble, one with huge family problems that make her cry in every corner of the school. So nobody thought that I will go there with a hot British college boy with blonde hair and gorgeous eyes. I was in an amazing dress but not good enough to take eyes off him.

Not only he was there for me always but he also let me stay in his house when I had nowhere to go. Those memories stall me for half an hour.

I heard footsteps. I was waiting for him to turn from the corner to the kitchen but then footsteps stopped. I went to see what happened, I saw him standing there with his arms open waiting for a hug with his cocky smile. Waiting for me to hug him.

"Good morning." I hugged. He did not answer but kept on hugging tight. "Why you are up so early?" I asked with concern as if he was a baby. I felt like a mom whose kid came back home for spring break.

"Because I knew that you won't be able to sleep before making the omelet" he answered.

I directly ran to the kitchen while he was smiling at me. Because I forgot about it. "If it is not burnt, it won't be a tradition" he yelled behind me.

As he was eating, I was watching him like a television. "Stop! Stop looking at me like that. I will tell you everything, of course, just let me finish this okay?" He said and kissed me on my forehead.

I wanted to know everything, how everything went, or if he had gone through something dangerous after I insisted on taking some of his men with him. Then he couldn't stand my looking and put the fork down with a huge sigh. "I'm sorry. I have nothing." he was somehow almost could not breathe.

"What do you mean you have nothing? You have been gone for 3 months and you have nothing to tell me?"

I was kind of angry because I have waited to hear stories for too long and he says he has nothing. He only talks with the boys about this "work" stuff and that makes me mad.

He was trying to avoid looking at me in a very obvious way. He was weird that makes me think that something awful happened. "Vince why are you-"

"You have every right." he interrupted me "But you have to believe me I tried. I tried to reach everybody that can help me with this. Your dad is smarter than me. He knows how to hide. The more I think I was closer the further he was. But you have to believe that I tried okay! I did not want to let you down-"

I hugged him the second I realized he assumed I was asking about my father."What are you talking about? " I asked smiling. "I was not asking about my dad you idiot. I was asking about everything. Everything. Where did you go? What did you eat? Who did you meet? Who did you hook up with? I even forgot about that possibility. I remembered it this morning. Not in a million years that I think you wouldn't try your best for me."

He seemed relieved. He took a deep breath and hug me back. Stupid him.

"Oh! I have a lot of things to tell about that!" his smile was back.

"You better start to talk then," I ordered.

He started to talk that was the last thing that I could remember. Our conversation was interrupted when Jason came in from outside. "Guys c'mon now. We want to sleep now. Early day tomorrow. And look at this mess! Maya will freak out!"

I looked at the table. There were coffee mugs, tea mugs, chips, pizza boxes, and DVD cases. I was trying to understand what Jason was saying. Clearly, Vince ordered them out for today so we can talk but what time - then I looked at the clock. It was 6 pm! He said "Sorry guys. We lost the track of time you all come in."

They all came in. Sam came in first and walked fast to his room. I saw Dylan and gave him a smile when he was leaving. I felt Vince's eyes on me and saw him looking at Dylan.

They all went downstairs to their room. Jason stayed with us "How was England?" with an effort of trying to copy Vince's accent. We both went at the same time "No accent!"

They talked business a little bit the ones that I am allowed to stand by and listen to, the boring ones. They caught my attention when he asked "So how is the new guy? When do I meet with him?" As if he is playing with me!

"You already told Jason that he won't even see you. Don't play with me, Mr. Stern." I remembered the reason behind my anger toward him again.

He hugged me and said "Okay. I forgot that you are smarter than us for a second. Won't happen again." he laughed. " And my name is Vince."

Jerk, I thought to myself.

"I can hear you thinking that I'm a jerk. Take it back," he said as we started to walk toward our rooms.