chapter 2 - the big boss

Diana

"I'm sorry that I seemed like I snapped at you. My anger is not to you. It is to Vince."

That was all I could say. When I walked to the restroom I did not like my face in the mirror. I was all red and my eyes were full. A small part of me would always be mad at him but Dylan was someone new, he didn't have to get sucked into this life. He could be someone outside of this part of my life.

I looked at him as he was trying to come up with an answer for me. His face was so easy to read. I could see that he was trying to say the right things. That is one of his differences. He is just cute and easy. I missed easy. He is different physically as well. He is not as bulky as others in the house but he is definitely athletic.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. It was obvious that your anger was towards him."

Glad he didn't make me apologize more. He wasn't talking that much but his face was telling all. He was one of those people who says everything with his eyes.

My head was at Adelina's question. "Did you talk to your mom?" After I found every excuse possible to avoid this, her asking was like a slap in my face, really. I missed her so much but after that question, I wanted to get out of there. It was not her fault. It was not my fault too. It was my mom's fault, my dad's fault. My poor brother and I suffered because of them.

While I was lost in my thoughts, he asked, "What about the boss?"

"What about him?"

"Well, I might not meet with him so only you can tell. I want to know who hired me."

"Well, of course, you will meet him. He would want to see you. You work for him after all, but Jason hired you, not him. He trusts Jason. He picks everyone for him."

"There are a lot of people that are working for him. I only met with Jason and Sam but the other day at breakfast there were 7 others"

"Yeah. They are more guys on the 'field'. They work with him at his job. Jason used to be on the field too. Now he thinks he is old. But do not be fooled by this. He can still knock you down."

"Field?"

"That's what they say. His work other than his architecture firm." I was kind of hoping he wouldn't ask further questions about the work. "But they don't come home that often. Normally, it is just me, Jason, Jamie, Maya and Sam."

"Is Sam on the field too?" He asked. Normally, I would brag to myself that I got what he meant by my people reading skills thanks to Vince, but he was not hiding at all. He stared directly into my eyes and did not even take them away to look at the road.

"Yes." I replied and turned my head away. I was not ready to talk about it. Thankfully, he did not insist.

When we came, everybody was at home waiting for the "big boss." I was so angry with him. He could not just let little things go away.

Jason greeted us as we entered. "You are late. I thought you would be the one standing here yelling orders until he arrives." I forced a smile. He pulled my arm, looked me in the eye, and said "You know his heart."

With one line he meant a lot. He always does. Jason is one of those people who does not afraid of his emotions. That is why he always knew what he needs to say to me. I am like a daughter to him, and that's a weakness. I was somehow a weakness to everyone in this house in a way. They kept on reminding me daily. Either as a daughter or best friend. But instead of others, Jason is the only one who embraces that and somehow uses it as his advantage. When emotions are on the table, he was just like any one of us. He is at peace with them. Not just a superhuman with the ability to fix everything.

So, he knew what I was feeling. I was mad at Vince, but I knew that he did not mean any harm to me. He wants the best for me always. While I was processing Jason's line, the door got opened.

There he was. Everybody went silent and looked at Jason. They waited for Jason to greet Vince first so they all could greet him as well. Jason however stood there looking at me.

Vince's eyes fixed on me instantly. I didn't know how he saw me in this crowd but he did. "I am back" he said in his cocky voice that my ears missed.

His voice literally reverberated through my body. I could swear that everybody in the room could hear my heart. Adelina and him coming back on the same day. I cannot handle this.

I forgot everything, ran to him and gave him a big hug. "Welcome back!" I yelled as I bet his ear hurt. He held me really tightly, I never thought that I would miss his scent as well. That big-hearted moron. I would never be mad at him for too long. Damn him.

"You can never be mad at me for too long," he said.

Dylan
Same seconds

I really wanted to know what Jason said to Diana. She just stood there without moving and tried to make sense of what she had just heard. Her eyes were almost full. Then her head turned to the door as we all heard the noise. Everybody became silent and they just waited.

"I'm back" he said. Nobody answered. Then suddenly, I felt the wind on my face. It was Diana running to him.

It was hard to believe that this guy was Vince. First of all, he is called big boss which makes you think he is old, at least older than Jason. But no. He has a maximum age of 35.

He is British. He has a noticeable accent. Somehow I've never thought of him as British. The second thing is that he cannot be the guy Diana is mad at.

Thirdly, he was not the way Adelina described him. He smiled at her and hugged her tightly without considering anyone else. He even smelled her hair. He said something to her ear that made her laugh.

They let each other go. After they let each other go, as if they were waiting for them, everyone went to Vince. They hugged and shook hands. Sam and I were the only ones who didn't do that.

He looked at Sam and then at me. Jason pointed at me and said,"He is the new guy" Vince looked at his face with approval. Gave me one last look and left.

Now, That was the guy she mentioned. The only difference me and Sam had was that he looked at me 1 second more and he did not want to kill me.

"See, I told you, you will see him." Diana came back smiling. She was the same person she was in the morning. I was glad for whatever reason it was.