chapter 11,5 - we talked.

Vince

I needed to get rid of everybody. No one could learn about this. No one. I've thought of every possibility that can occur out of this. The ones that involved Diana knowing always end in a bad way. So it was out of the question.

I need her to have no idea about this which is not hard because I never let her be part of my job, never let her know anything about it. She is so naive that she does not need my darkness. I selfishly need her in my life, so this is the only way.

So for now, before involving everybody I needed to do this alone. But there will be a time when I will need to involve others then it will be hard to keep things from Diana. Everybody will be walking on eggshells and she will eventually feel it.

She is not a good reader of people as I am, but she is good at feeling it. She always feels when something is wrong. So, when that time comes, she needs to be distracted. She shouldn't be able to focus on anything else.

Out of every possibility I foresee, that distraction can only be Sam. While my lawyers are way deep on the legal shit, my mind is only focused on that. Tonight, I am talking to him.

Normally, he still would be my go-to person in these situations as my brother. His dad worked for my das as Dia's, then when he left his job, Sam went with him.

After that somehow he showed up exactly when I needed someone. I will never forget that. However, I don't think I will ever surpass that night. I will surely try my best, for Dia.

"Sam. In my office." I said, without even looking at him before even shutting the door as my lawyers left.

My office because I want him to feel scared, and uncomfortable about it. All the other rooms are common areas but my office sure is not.

"So, we have long overdue," I said as I pour myself a whisky and gave him some vodka. His favorite.

"I guess," he said. Uncomfortable. Good. This is his character. He never was comfortable with these things.

"I assume, you don't accept an apology. Because you know me. You know what I am capable of when it comes to her." I said. Normally, I could fake an apology but he would never believe it.

"I don't. That is why I'm surprised why are we even talking."

I took my phone to call Diana. If we are going in deep shit, she shouldn't be coming home and witnessing it. No answer.

"Because it makes Diana sad and mad. We need to solve this."

I called again, no answer which made me mad.

"Do you have feelings for her?" I asked, bluntly. Came as a surprise to him too.

"Vince c'mon man. No matter what happens, we all want her to be okay. I don't want her to be sad and mad." he said.

Did that dipshit just imply that I don't want that? My gaze must have given me away because he continued;

"I know you want that too. So, we should move on from this."

Child. He can do anything to avoid having a conversation like men. I called again, no answer.

"Good. I will choose to believe that. With that 'wanting what is best for her' you will shut your mouth about everything you heard about her dad today. She can't handle this. She would rather have him dead."

"How can we hide something like this?"

"To make her not sad and mad. I will tell others when it is needed. You were there for the old time's sake and because we needed to talk about Diana. Are you willing to do whatever it takes?" I asked.

I called again. No answers. I continued as I try to stay calm.

What I am about to ask him is something I would kill a man for. It is bad if he says yes without hesitation, it is also bad if he says no without hesitation.

I called no answer again. My anxiety started to kick in.

"Look, Diana can never learn this. You know me I thought of every way."

Sam stood up. "Vince calm down, just loosen your tie."

"What?"

Now my anxiety is visible. Sam opened the window and started to run in the room in a panic. He was yelling at Maya. Then he turned and realized I was still trying to call on my last breath.

No answer.

"Calm down dude. She is fine. Dylan is good. Just breathe. You are scaring the shit out of me. Of course, you would kill me, look how you freak out when she doesn't answer. I would never harm her dude."

Now he is doing what we did as a kid. He always was there when I am having these crises. He always tries to talk too much so that I can focus on how annoying he is.

"I won't tell her of course. Remember all the things we hid from her. There is a guy out there with an 'I'm an asshole' tattoo on his arm."

Now memories. It is working.

"What was Dia thinking going to that club/tattoo shop place? Of course, someone would end up getting beaten till he agrees to have a tattoo. At least we didn't kill him. Right?" he said.

Now I have to answer. "Yes," I manage to bring out. I can't lie, I am kinda relieved when I realize Sam is not mad at me. I mean I wouldn't care. But my one side was relieved. Because he is capable of holding grudges.

"Look she is calling," he said, giving back my phone. Apparently, he kept on texting her as we speak. I picked up, and she said a few things, I heard she was okay and I hang up. I finally manage to stand up after my crisis and walked near Sam.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome," he said with a little smile.

"There is no doubt in my mind about you. Now, I also want to think when it comes to Diana, I can easily trust you."

There was a long silence. He couldn't say anything because he can't give me his word. Good. This time this is all I want.

"I can trust you that when Diana needs a distraction, that will be your job."

He looked surprised and confused. Good. This is also what I want. Because I hope, I won't need it, but if I do he will be loyal to me.

When I heard the car, I started to run without saying anything. Now, it is my time to emotionally punch Diana. She.can.not.do.this.to.me.

Her face was so scarred that, I guess a car ride was enough for her. My few gazes will do the job. I hate myself for being so weak when it comes to her.