Chapter 12

Cassius alacar

"Honey?" I looked over at my wife realizing I had zoned out for the umpteenth time while halo was explaining her day to me. It has been a few weeks since Matheus has left with the shadow knights and I was worried. I knew that I shouldn't be as I was allowed two updates by letter during his time there and we have already received one but my worrying was inevitable. We were quite amused at how annoyed he sounded in his letter saying he hates us for not packing any sweets but we were relieved to hear from him. After two months I was expecting to have Leona watching my every move daily but I received a quick visit from a shadow knight declaring that she will be extending Matheus training time with her for a year. Until then, she has sent a replacement, one of her mothers best shadow knights, the captain of the investigation team to keep a eye on things as well as start investigating Alaric and his father, but I had already began investigating way before the knight arrived.
"I apologize sweetheart I just have a lot on my mind at the moment." Halo looked up at me from her food analyzing me before she went back to her food shrugging. Out of all my children, my daughter intrigued me the most. It was made very clear by every scholar that taught my child that she was in fact a genius, not just in normal book smart ways but it was as If her brain was a calculator, always finding different solutions and answers to impossible problems. Halo was very selective, she knows when to be a child, when to be a adult, when to use her powers etc and he ability to read a room as well as people was quite scary. I could never tell what halo was truly thinking and I wasn't sure if that's what frightened me about her or the way she could read me with no hesitation at all. The rest of dinner was silent, it was only rose, halo, and I as Rui was currently spending a few days with the man he deemed his god father king Kaiser and his younger children.
King Kaiser had two children around Rui's age; a boy who is nine and a girl who is eleven. Kaiser also had an older daughter who is fifteen that halo has grown quite attached to. Halo decided to stay in the palace this time around as her friend was currently at her distant relatives residence. After we ate dinner halo retired to her room as rose and I decided to take a walk in the garden. "Cassius, what is on your mind that has you so out of it?" Rose asks standing in front of me holding my face. I grab her hands from my face kissing them both before holding them in my own.
"I've been working diligently on the investigation of Alaric and something just does not add up for me. The excuse of him 'hiding' his child, as well as the conception date; Nolan and his wife lost their first child around the same time as the conception date which is impossible as his wife would have been with child two weeks after the unfortunate death of their son." Rose listens intently with her hands still in mine. "I received some information from the captain of the investigation knights that has been looking into these things with me and apparently my hunch is correct, Nolan's son Alaric is the son that he claimed was deceased we've found some evidence regarding that theory, now we need to get to the why's. Why did Alaric hide him for as long as he did? But we will figure it out, we have three years to do so."
          She hums in understanding flashing me a small smile, she removes her hand from my grasp to place it on my cheek leaning up to give me a soft peck. "It will all work out, I believe in our son just as much as I believe in you. We will find that evidence and when Matheus takes down Alaric those kings will regret crossing our family in such a way." I smirk at my wife capturing her lips in a tender kiss. "I know it will, we're also investigating his curses, apparently Matheus doesn't believe Alaric was born with four curses but from what we seen that day it would be impossible to replicate a curse."
           A few days after Alaric's challenge for the throne the royal council and I held a showing to confirm Alaric's curse powers. If my memory serves me correctly, his powers were: teleportation, precognition, power absorption, and strength. All of those curses could be extremely dangerous and hard to beat especially precognition and teleportation. If he had perfect control of his curse he could become a serious threat and that's why I understood the reasoning of shadow Erebus taking action. From what the shadow knight captain has told me, Matheus also believed his kidnapping was possibly orchestrated by Nolan which was another matter to look into. I knew that time was not on our side when it comes to finding evidence as well as preparing Matheus and going against Nolan but I was sure that if I could find even one stone unturned I would uncover more information and take care of him for good.
         "You should try to get some rest tonight Cassius. You've been working extremely hard lately staying up late nights to work on this case." I pull back from her embrace, as long as three years may seem it may not be enough time and if it means staying up so I can protect this empire then I will. "Rose I-" she cut me off shaking her head "No Cassius, it's just one night you haven't slept properly in weeks. Please, just rest tonight!" I exhale running my hands through my wife hair kissing her forehead softly. "Alright, let's get some sleep." She smiles taking my hand as we walk to our suite to get some rest.
I had the butler wake me up earlier than normal to begin working on the missing parts of this case. I was going to get to the bottom of this traitorous behavior of Nolan's if it were the last thing I'd do.