2) The Deal

I was tired in the morning but couldn't stop to think about it. Ever since I discovered coffee I've been able to stay up longer. It also came with this joyous side effect of shakiness, especially in my hands.

I let out another yawn as I sat at my usual table with the biggest cup we're allowed to have. 'We don't want you to stay up all night. That stuff is bad for your heart. You should drink less and blah, blah, blah, blah.'

Every time they scold me like a child I want to throw the burning hot liquid on their faces and expensive white suits. Unfortunately, it has to stay a fantasy in my daydreams.

I was focusing on not bouncing my leg which took a lot more devotion than you'd think. So much in fact that I jumped when someone if into the chair across from me. I looked up to see Aris with his hood up staring at his food.

"Didn't you arrive with Maze B? Why aren't you sitting with them?"I asked politely. There's no need to be an asshole.

He's going to want to stay if you're not.

"That table's full, and I don't like people,"He shrugged. I shrugged back. It seemed acceptable enough.

I drank the rest of my coffee and tapped my finger to the beat of a song in my head. It occupies my mind from what I want to do to Janson and his workers. It's not a pretty image, and I'd prefer to keep my coffee down.

"Are you going to eat?"Aris asked, snapping me out of my trance. I sucked in a long breath at the fact that I had to start all over.

"No. Their breakfast is crap. Also I was concentrating,"I explained as calmly as possible.

"The toast isn't bad. It's hard to mess up toast."

Apparently, it's hard for you to take a hint.

"I want nothing to do with their food. I only drink their coffee because I need some kind of calorie intake, and it keeps me awake. I don't want them to think I owe them,"I hissed. Judging by his flustered face he seemed to have gotten the hint.

"Alright everybody. It's time to start calling names. Theo, Louis, and Blaise from Maze D. Cleo, and Selene from Maze C. Harriet, Sonya, and Rachel from Maze B. Come on up,"Janson called with a dumb grin.

There was a chorus of groans and no fairs from the cafeteria. Janson did his usual speech about how everyone would get to the Safe Zone soon, and see their friends, and more bullshit that. I went back to tapping my finger to the beat in my head on my thigh.

I looked up for a moment to see Aris's face had dropped. People from his maze were called.

"Those were your friends, weren't they?"I asked. He gave a small nod.

Stop before he sees you as one.

"I'm not good at comforting people, but I'm sorry. That's got to be painful,"I said in a tone I wasn't used to hearing.

He was getting teary eyed. They must really mean a lot to him. It hurt to lose my best friend. I doubt this feels any better.

"Listen. What if we look for a way out together? I'll tell you if I find a way out on one condition,"I told him, emphasising the last words through my whisper.

"What's the condition?"He asked nervously.

You know what happens when you tear your walls down.

"We can't become friends. If one of us feels guilty because someone gets caught it will only distract the other. Do we have a deal?"I asked, putting out my hand. He shook it when an alarm and red flashing lights came on.

Someone has escaped, and I swear to God if it's his friends I'm going to scream.

"Janson, the girls from Maze B escaped,"Someone yelled into their walkie-talkie.

Now there's nobody to worry about. No one can get in your way.

"Is it still a deal?"Aris questioned.

Say NO! say NO!

"Yes. We shook on it so yes. It's a deal."

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

The rest of that day was spent in our rooms with food and drink being brought to us. Janson was kind enough to personally apologize to all of us because he felt 'oh, so sorry that we were locked up again.' Each time I sent him a polite nod of acknowledgement and forced a small, sad, little smile. Did I mention how much I want to rip his throat out every time he comes near me?

"How could they just ignore his kindness?" Someone asked their friend.
"I know. They're so lucky they've been chosen, especially so soon. I've been here for six whole days,"Her friend whined.

They are right about one thing. The girls are lucky they got chosen, but only because they were smart enough to escape. Everything else is wrong. Janson is pure evil. The girls were right to leave. She should want to get out of here as soon as possible.

As much as the Mazers could get on my nerves at least I knew them. A few of them would occasionally strike up a conversation with me here. Back at the Maze Luna and I would talk for hours on end. Then, I isolated myself. It was to painful to be around anyone else. Getting close to someone else meant you dealt with the grief that came with them leaving.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

I heard a girl start snoring rather loudly and looked at the clock outside. That's my cue. I carefully took off the vent and made my way inside. There's somewhere specific I'm going tonight.

I was right by the doors thinking about my decision from earlier. Was it a good idea to team up? He could be a traitor. There's no proof he won't betray me by telling them. As much as I'd like to believe he wouldn't people aren't always as they seem.

"Hi,"Aris whispered, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Hi,"I whispered back. From below us came the sound of wheels. I peeked down to see that usual cart with somebody's body being covered with a sheet. They're most likely dead. In that moment I started wishing I had warned Luna or at least spoken to her more. She was my only friend after what happened. Nobody else wanted to deal with me, but she was there. Now she's nothing more than a body on a cart.

"Are you okay?"Aris asked. I was scared, no I was terrified that if I said something I would cry so I settled for a nod. He didn't seem to buy it.

"Let's go then,"He said, breaking the silence. I awkwardly crouched and directed him into the room with the bodies. This ends soon. I'll make sure of it.

"I almost forgot. Here,"He stated, handing me something in a napkin. I opened it to see an apple.

I opened my mouth to protest. "I gave it to you, not them which means you owe them nothing. I'm also saying no strings attached so you owe me nothing. Also you kind of need food to live,"He deadpanned.

"But it's yours,"I pointed out, confused.

"Well I'm stubborn, and now it's yours,"He said simply.

I searched his face for any sign this was a joke. He was completely serious.

There has to be a reason.

"Why?"I asked.

"Why what?"

"Why do you care if I live or die?"I asked.

"Maybe I'm not good with rules,"He answered.

Neither am I Aris. Neither am I.