17) Last Names

In what seemed to be less than a second we had tumbled onto the ground. I don't know exactly where the Zipline went wrong, but it didn't change the fact that the harness snapped when we were a few seconds away from the ground. Neither of us were hurt, but I think I might have preferred that over what actually happened.

In less than three seconds I had ended up completely on top of him. That wasn't even the weirdest part about the whole situation.

It was definitely the fact that while I was staring down at him something in the back of my mind clicked into a place. It was blurry, but I could tell that it was a memory.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

"Seriously Aris? That definitely isn't fair,"I huffed.

"I don't know what you want me to do about it,"He shrugged.

I playfully hit his shoulder. "Why do you get a last name, and literally no one else I know does? In what universe does that make sense?"

"Again Y/N. What exactly am I supposed to do about this?"He repeated.

"I don't know Aris Jones. All I know is I'm definitely going to find a way to use that against you,"I said, pronunciating his last name.

"How do you plan on doing that?"

I thought for a second, but came up with nothing.

"I don't know. It suits you to much to make fun of you for it,"I responded.

"It does?"

"Yes Aris Jones. Your last name does suit you,"I said, rolling my eyes.

I looked over and saw he had gone red in the face. "Yes Aris Jones? Are you thinking of something?"

"You should be Y/N Jones. I think it suits you just as much,"He admitted, staring at the door to avoid looking me in the eyes.

"Y/N Jones,"I repeated, testing the name. "Yeah. I'm going to be Y/N Jones one day. Once we escape of course."

He grabbed my hand and gently squeezed. I put my head on his shoulder and let him play with my hair. It was a perfect moment, but every moment with him seemed to be. Especially, this special one. I was going to get a last name, and it was going to be his. Correction, it was going to be ours. The world would be ours to one day. We'd conquer it together because together we are unstoppable.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

"Y/N Jones,"I blurted out to no one in particular. He looked up at me completely gobsmacked, and so was I. Especially, since I was still basically straddling him.

Frantically, I jumped up in disbelief. What had just happened? What the hell was that? I swear it was a memory, but why did it come out of nowhere like that?

"Hey lovers. While you two were busy doing whatever that was the building just blew up with Brenda inside. I know you want to be all touchy, but-"
"No, no, no. This is so bad,"I mumbled to myself. My breathing was ragged and almost pained. I don't know exactly why this was bad, but it was.

"So that's our plan. Hey. Did you two hear a word I said?"Jorge snapped.

"Yeah. Building blew up with Brenda inside,"I murmered.

"You missed the part about Thomas, and the entire plan?"He asked, irritated.

"Yep,"I admitted, too worn out and confused to care much.

"How do you not care about your friend that much?"He asked.

"Not my friend. They're not my friends. No one here is,"I muttered, walking out of their sight to nowhere. I just wanted to sit somewhere and scream or kick something. Maybe I even wanted to cry because I was still getting memories from that place, and they all seemed to involve him. They might involve Luna and Alex soon. How was I expected to keep myself together if I saw the faces of the people I failed?

I stood up and kicked the demolished building with my good foot. It wasn't enough to calm my down. I don't think anything ever would, but I had to try something.

So I started punching the building like it was the thing that caused my problems. The world definitely didn't have enough violence in it, but you know what they say. Fight fire with fire.

There was an obvious shock running up my arm, but I didn't quit. Even when there was blood running down my knuckles I didn't let up.

"You're going to hurt your hands,"Teresa remarked.

"Aren't you a little Sherlock Holmes?"I responded through gritted teeth.

"Why are you trying to break your hands?"

"None of your business. That's why,"I spat.

"You had a memory,"She stated. I froze and slid down what was left of the wall. This was a stupid thing to do, but it felt necessary. "What exactly was it?"She pushed.

"Nothing important,"I grumbled, looking at the ground.

"It must be pretty important to you if you're going to punch freshly scorched metal."

She was right, but she was wrong too. It wasn't just the memory that bothered me. Obviously, I didn't appreciate the fact that Aris and I had heavily implied marriage, but what other things would pop up?

"I keep randomly getting those too. They're all different but they make me emotional. Sometimes I feel ecstatic when I get them, but a lot of them make me want to break down,"She admitted.

"I don't want to have them anymore. They just make this stupid mission so much harder,"I mumbled.

"You don't have to go through it alone. It won't kill you to get attached to someone."

She sat next to me and just let me think for a minute. I wasn't sure I was able to. There was to much clouding my mind.

"Would you ever go back if it meant they could erase them?"She asked.
"Is that even a question? After all I've seen I'd rather do anything else. It could be unbearable, and I would still pick that over them."

I wasn't harsh that time because I could tell she was genuinely curious. I think she actually wanted to be my friend. As much as it pains me to admit I could use a friend right now, and she understood some of what was happening. It didn't have to be all bad. It may be hard to accept, but it wouldn't kill me to have a friend.