Nicolas Flamel ~ Edited Sept 1, 2023

Harry seemed relieved to see that Dumbledore was smiling. However, Jade's suspicions towards Dumbledore had been mounting steadily, fueled by a multitude of reasons throughout the year. Nevertheless, her current concern was primarily triggered by the odd tone of his voice.

Dumbledore slid off the desk and settled himself on the floor, with Harry and Jade soon joining him. With a gentle curiosity in his voice, Dumbledore turned to Jade and asked, "Miss Green, what brings you here?"

Jade took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart. Fear had enveloped her, refusing to subside. She mustered the courage to speak, her voice trembling slightly. 

"I uh, overheard Harry and Ron earlier, talking about the mirror. I couldn't help but wonder what it actually is..." she half-explained.

Dumbledore, his eyes filled with wisdom, regarded Jade with a gentle smile. "You, like hundreds before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised," he explained, his voice carrying a sense of mystery as he returned his gaze to Harry.

"We didn't know what it was called, sir," Harry said. His voice was filled with a mix of curiosity and apprehension. 

Jade, standing beside him, shot him a look that said, 'Speak for yourself,' but she held her tongue.

Dumbledore, his wise eyes still fixed on Harry, nodded understandingly. "But I expect you've realized by now what it does?" he asked, his voice calm yet filled with curiosity. 

Jade, seemingly unfazed by the question, shrugged nonchalantly as if she didn't care at all. But deep down, she was actually quite upset about not knowing. Harry, hesitant yet determined, mustered the courage to share what he knew. 

"It... well... it shows me, my family," he stammered, his voice filled with a mix of awe and uncertainty. 

"And it showed Ron, your friend, as the Head Boy."

"How did you know –?" Harry asked as he glanced at Jade accusingly. Jade frowned at him not appreciating the look he gave her. 

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible," said Dumbledore sternly. His voice carried a sense of authority and wisdom. 

He asked a thought-provoking question, "Now, can you think about what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?" 

Harry shook his head, indicating his lack of understanding. While Jade knew the answer, she chose to remain silent, her skepticism of Dumbledore still lingering.

Dumbledore, sensing Harry's confusion, decided to provide some clarity. "Let me explain," he began. "The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror. In other words, when he looks into it, he would see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?"

Harry thought about it and then said slowly, "It shows us what we want ... whatever we want ..."

Jade scoffed and rolled her eyes as she thought. 'Is Hermione the only intelligent Gryffindor? The answer is easy... It shows you your heart's deepest desire.'

"Yes and no," said Dumbledore quietly.

"It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest desire of our hearts. You, who has never known your family, see them standing around you. Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge nor truth. Many have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible." He paused for a moment. "The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you put that admirable cloak back on and get off to bed?"