Chapter One

Chapter One

I woke up groggily. My eyes looked around the brightly lit room. The walls were all white with posters that had information on them. My bed was white and uncomfortable. Everything was white. My head was pounding and my body ached.

I looked at my hand and I saw a needle, an IV. My left arm was wrapped up nice and tight. My ribcage hurt and I could hardly breathe. Something was in my nose. A beeping noise was coming from where in the room. I looked to my right to see a figure sleeping on the couch.

Her face was covered by her blond hair. On the table, next to her, was different kinds of balloons, a vase filled with flowers, and a big teddy bear. I looked out the window and it was dark outside. Where am I? I tried to talk but my throat was dry. What happened?

The door opened and a nurse walked in, smiling.

"Look who's up." She said, standing beside me, checking my vitals.

The figure who was sleeping woke up, revealing her face. Teri, my cousin. What was she doing here? She gave me a small smile. She looks like she's been here for days.

"Did you tell her?" The young nurse asked.

Teri shook her head. "She's been in and out. I haven't had the time to tell her."

I frowned, confused. I finally found my voice. "Tell me what?"

Teri glanced at the nurse and then she took a deep breath before exhaling. Her brown eyes turned sad and serious.

"Aud, you've been in a car crash and had some injuries." She stopped, then she continued."We knew you where in pain so the nurse knocked you out for a couple of days."

"Okay." I said, trying to remember."I was in a car crash. What else happened?"

She shallowed then grabbed my hand. It pained her to say what she had to say."While you were out, your parents and Ryan died. Their injuries were worse than yours."

I jerked my hand back and stared at her, looking in her eyes to see if she was making a mistake. That she was wrong. But she wasn't.

Tears rolled down my checks. "What? No." I shook my head, not wanting to believe it."That's not true."I tried tearing at my IV. "Mom! Dad! Ryan! It's not funny. Where are you!"

Teri held me while I sobbed on her shoulder. Why did they leave me? Why didn't I go with them?

I blink back tears that threatened to fall out. I close my eyes and let out a shaky breath. I glance at my clock. 5:30 am. I throw the covers off me and get up.

I throw on running shorts and a tank top. I put my hair in a ponytail and grab my keys as I walk out the door.

I look around. The streetlights are still on. The street is quiet, everyone is still sleeping. I pick a way to run and jog. Having no real destination, I run to clear my head.

I listen to the sound of my feet hitting the pavement. It follows its own beat. It's been two weeks since I lost my family. Two weeks I've been drowning in dark waters. There's no surface. I feel pain and sorrow everyday. I wake up hoping it's a dream but it's not. This is reality. My nightmare.

In the past two weeks, I build so many walls. My feeling,and passions aren't allowed out and nothing is allowed in. Everyday, I wait for the numbing.

It makes everything better. I don't feel the pain or sorrow. But it only last for a while. Then the feelings are back.

I try to forget but I feel horrible, guilty. I feel like I'm cheating them out of remorse. If I'm not thinking about them, who is? They deserve at least that, right?