Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

My fingers flows, effortlessly across the cool marble keys. The soft melody plays for a short time before coming to an end. I sigh in fraustation. As soon as we got back to LA, I went straight to the first piano I could find and it so happened to be at Hayes' house.

Last night, I had this strange dream of the song I'm trying to play but I only remember some of it.

I keep playing it over and over again, hoping it'll trigger more of the song but it's not. I'm still stuck on the same part.

Hayes arrives into the room. "Since you're playing again, how about a song?"

I look at him. Nice try. Hayes was surprise when I told him I wanted to play again all of a sudden. He thinks it's a step closer to me singing again. I guess he's right in some way.

"Just because I'm playing an instrument, it doesn't mean I'm going to sing again." I tell him, placing my fingers back on the keys.

He sits beside me on the wooden black bench. "You'll figure it out" he tells me. "Take a break. You've been playing ever since we got back." He informs me.

"I will." I promise. "Once I figure out this song."

I start playing but stop when Hayes places his larger hands onto of mine. "Stop." He orders.

I look into his grey eyes. "Why do you have this affect on me?" I ask, dropping my arms in defeat.

He grins. "Because I'm-"

"If you say you're irresistible I swear, I'm ignoring you for the rest of the day" I warn him.

"Good luck with that."

"I don't need luck." I quote him.

Amusement shines in his eyes. "Sure you don't."

He removes his hands and I instantly miss the warmth of them. He leans closer to me and nuzzling my neck. His taunting me. His lips brushing across the outline of my jaw and I arch my neck up higher.

He lands soft kisses along my neck and pulls away. He gets up and smirks.

Don't give anything away. I think myself.

He walks out the room. "You know where to find me." He calls over his shoulder.

Once my heart is beating at a normal pace, I play the song again. But my mind wonders to the thoughts of Hayes.

The way he talked. His beautiful grey eyes, framed by his long seductive eyelashes. His long lean body, packed with muscles and cover by his flawless olive skin. His soft touches. His heart beating kisses....

Focus! I scold myself.

I concentrate on the music I'm playing and I remember a little bit more. The music itself sounds sad. I wonder what the lyrics would be.

I end on the last note I knew which is about thirty-two seconds in. I think about the lyrics. What could it be? A tragic love story? Death? Grief? Pain?

It could be anything. Life, I come to know, throws a lot of painful things at you and it doesn't seem like it would ease up.

I know I'm still not over the fact I lost my family. As the days goes by without them it doesn't seem like a dream anymore. I came to accept it wasn't but it doesn't help that they're gone.

The numbing of the pain stopped a while back. I think it had something to do with not thinking of them as much and Hayes being in my life.

He's been a good distraction. But not even he can keep me distracted for long. I miss them.