CHAPTER 2🍂

(Third Person's POV)

It had been more than seven years since the accident happened. Sorin moved into a cheap crockcoach infested apartment, with only two rooms, a year ago.

Her uncle had sent her five hundred dollars with a text saying that he could not give anymore than that. And it was the last time she heard from him. It was as if he never existed in the first place.

She did not contact him either, she had no attachment with him so she was not disappointed when he disowned her. She was seventeen and was in the last year of highschool.

She got a part time job in a local convenience store. The scholarship covered for almost all her study fees so the pay, though low, was just enough for her cheap living expenses.

She came out of the bathroom, freshly showered, and put on her usual attire which consisted of a simple jeans and an oversized buy one get one free tee-shirt.

She had the average looks, a thin frame with slightly sun tanned skin and short obsidian hair with plain hazel eyes.

She had some bread with no butter and a bowl of porridge from last night for breakfast and chugged down some plain water.

She checked her phone; seven five. She grabbed her phone and bag from the table and put on her worn out sneakers. She took a mental note to glue the free edges later.

She exited and started striding towards the main road after locking the front door. It took about half an hour to get to school on foot. It served as an exercise and also saved money which would otherwise be spent on bus fare.

She checked her phone again when a notification chimed. It was a text from Naobi.

"On your way?"

"Yeah. Need something?"

"Nah! Just hurry up!"

"OK. See you at School."

Sorin had a small smile tugging her features as she texted her last words. Naobi could be safely said to be her best friend, probably the only friend.

They met in middle school when Sorin had just lost her grandfather. Naobi was a popular and cheerful kid. And unlike her, Naobi was preety and had a loving family. But despite their differences they got along preety well and eventually became inseperable.

Sorin stopped at the crossing, waiting for the signal to turn red. It was a bit early since the office hours usually start at nine so the traffic was not much heavy.

She was going through the note for the day's lecture on her phone when a shrill voice screamed.

She winced as she turned around feeling annoyed, it was one of the many reasons why she wanted to avoid crowded places as much as possible.

An unexpected sight caught her eyes. A middle aged woman, with a terrible sense of fashion, was fussing and complaining about how the old man beside her bumped on her on purpose and how he soiled her expensive dress.

A typical Karen; Sorin thought to herself. Since she was working at the convenience store, such people were a frequent problem. And that was the another reason why she hated to step outside her house.

Sorin tapped the woman on the shoulder with a polite smile, handing a folded hundred dollars note.

"Excuse me Ma’am. I found this here. Is this yours?"

The woman turned with a scowl on her face but paused when she saw the note and then snatched it from her hand, claiming that it was hers.

She quickly crossed the road when the signal become red, spitting to the oldman that he was lucky since she was in a hurry or she would have sued him.

Sorin watched as the woman trotted away hastily, a bit surprised and amused. Honestly she never thought the toy note, that came as a free gift with a lolipop, would came into use one day.

She quitely crouched down on her knees, helping the old man pick the scattered vegetables that had fallen when he collide with the woman.

He might be returning home from a morning walk and had pick up some fresh vegetables on the way.

"Thankyou child. You are very kind." He etched a smile on his wrinkled face as he got up with her help.

"It's nothing Sir. Do you need any help walking back home?" Sorin proposed as she dusted his cane and handed it to him.

"It is alright child. My house is just around the corner."

"OK Sir. Please have a good day."

She smiled wistfully as she watched the old man walking away on the pavement of the footpath. Her eyes became a bit misty as a familar pain struck her chest.

I miss you Grandpa. She smiled wistfully.

She crossed the road when the signal turned red and continued striding, completely unaware of the hooded figure that stood near the crossing where the scene unfolded.

The cold aquamarine eyes followed her petite frame, her wistfull smile lingering in their mind.