CHAPTER 10 - THE DRESS

willows pov

"Dad, I swear I can explain. It all happened so fast, and...," I blurt. "Why... why didn't you just tell me Willow?" My dad cried. I didn't even think to tell him; I hadn't spoken to him for months. "I swear-" I try to speak but get quickly interrupted. "I know it's been hard to keep in touch since you moved to Castle Combe, and I wanted to give you your space, but... this is really big willow." He sobs.

"Dad. I swear it wasn't intentional!" I say, I honestly didn't mean to not tell him," but the last few months have just been so busy. "And Evelyn Montgomery? How did you even meet a woman like that?" He asked.

"Uh, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean...?" I question. He better not mean what I think he does. "Well, it's just... She's a hugely successful businesswoman, and you're, well..." He mumbles. Knew it.

"And I'm not. I hear you loud and clear." I snap. No way he has the nerve to say something like that when we haven't spoken for so long. The whole reason I'm not a successful businesswoman is because of him. "You know I didn't mean it like that, honey." He sighs.

"I know, dad, it's just—" I get interrupted by Evelyn walking into the room; she had on grey shorts and a black crop top. "Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were in here." She smiles. She has now walked over to the table and is rummaging through her papers.

"Is that her?" My dad asks on the phone. "I gotta go." I pull the phone away from my ear slightly. "No willow, wait." Dad says, but I cut off the phone before he can say anything else.

"Who was that?" Evelyn asks. Isn't it kind of weird how she's never met any of my family but I have met all of hers? "Nobody." I sigh and walk away into the bathroom. I change into some nicer clothes and walk back into the bedroom, where Evelyn is now sitting typing on her laptop.

"Oh willow! I wanted to ask you, "Uh, Willow?" I hear Evelyn say, But I'm kind of in my own world, so I just walk off. It probably wasn't that important anyway. I walk out of the room and slightly down the hallway before I bump into something. "Ouch," I laugh, and I look up to see Evelyn's mom.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I awkwardly smile. "Ah, Willow, I was just coming to find you!" She laughs. Why was she coming to find me? Oh no, have I done something wrong? "You were?" I ask her, still awkwardly standing in front of her.

"Did I hear a sewing machine in your room a few nights ago?" She questions. She did, and I was sewing my sock because it had a hole. "Yes, was it too loud? I just thought, in such a big house—" I mumble.

"Oh no, not at all. I was actually going to ask you for a favour." She chuckles. "Oh! Well, ask away!" I smile. I hope it's not a bad favour, like cleaning the toilet or mowing the lawn. "On second thought, it might be better if I showed you. Follow me."

We start walking down the hall towards the other side of the house—well, not even the other side, but this house is huge, so it feels like it. "You know, when Evelyn was younger, she had a phase where she would sew her doll's clothes, but she grew out of it quite quickly and decided she liked art more." Melissa laughs. I bet little Evelyn was very hard to look after.

We get to the end of the hall and stand in front of the door, and I can hear someone sobbing. "Is someone crying?" I ask, and Melissa sighs, nodding her head. "It's Delilah; something has gone... oh, just see for yourself." She awkwardly smiles.

We walk into the room, and Delilah is standing in a plain white dress; it didn't have any frills, lace, or any design at all. Delilah was sobbing with her mascara running down her face.

"Oh, honey, please don't cry. I brought Willow here to help!" Melissa smiles as she walks over to Delilah, wiping her tears. "Nobody can help! It's hopeless; everything is ruined!" Delilah sobs.